Dishwasher - Water pumping out before wash

I have a GE Profile Performance Dishwasher.

The drain loop goes up to the outlet by the sink faucet and then connects to the disposal, which I think is proper.

The water fill cycle starts, then a few seconds later, it starts draining. If I watch under the dishwasher, I can see a spring loaded plastic piece move when the pumping starts and then return to its starting position after the water is pumped out.

The spray cycle then starts, but of course there is very little water left in the tub to be sprayed.

If I add a half bucket of water into the tub and start it up again, the water is again pumped out of the tub.

I have tried cleaning out the drain line at the sink. I have also removed the two covers inside the dishwasher, 1) a long one at the back and 2) an oval one on the right middle part of the dishwasher. These areas were primarily clean, but I removed any residue that was in there and replaced the covers.

I have also removed the cover from the flood switch in the front left of the machine and cleaned all of the residue out of it. If I push on the switch I can hear it click.

Any ideas as to what I can try next???

Reply to
Greg

Model#?

Mudt have a high loop in the drain hose....yours -sounds- good :)

A bad valve inside the pump assy ( not accessable or replaceable ) may be weak and opening up prematurly allowing the water to drain out without the drain solenoid accaully opening the valve. Some also have a return spring that may be missing/rusted off, which could allow drain valve to open too soon....if all is ok a new motor and pump assy may be required, these usually had a 3 year parts warranty from the purchase date...

Complete Pump and Motor Assembly used on many GE brands dishwashers. Replaces older style pump and motor assemblies.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff