Police drag passenger from United Airlines plane

Yes, maybe a bit over-dramatic regarding his exit, but why should he, or anyone, have to leave a plane or any event for that matter due to the error of the vendor? Especially during travel when one needs to get home. If one can hype the issue for a higher monetary reward, I say go for it. It's times the big people stop pushing the smaller people.

Reply to
Meanie

How can one receive a ticket unless it's paid for? If they pay and don't show up, tuff noogies on the purchaser. If an airline reserves or provides a ticket without payment of some sort, sucks for them. TIme to revamp procedures.

Reply to
Meanie

Taxed and Spent

I don't fly enough to know for sure, but I have a couple of friends who do who note on United, et al, there are few refundable tickets. THus, they overbook, hoping people won't show more to keep their money and sell the seat a second time.

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

How exactly would you solve it? There is no solution, other than to not overbook. They overbook based on modeling and statistical analysis. Usually it works fine, occasionally they don't have enough seats. And are you willing to pay the increased ticket costs to eliminate overbooking?

Reply to
trader_4

Because it's the airline's plane, the airline controls it and the law is that you have to obey the flight crew? What do you think would happen at a hardware store if the management told you that you had to leave and you refused? They would call the police and if you also refused their commands to leave, they would drag you out.

I don't want an asshole like this on my plane. What's next? A hissy fit at 40,000 ft over a pillow that results in the plane being diverted?

BTW, just heard on the radio this morning that to get his medical license back following his felony drug peddling/sex charges, he was required to take anger management classes, so that suggests there were plenty of problems, disregard for authority in his past.

Reply to
trader_4

[snip]

Okay, let's assume that he has/had anger management issues. In this instance, what is the relevance? It seems that the folks here and the public in general feel he was abused by the airlines and that their method of enforcing the bumping of passengers was wrong.

Excuse the hyperbole, but if this was a matter of the flight crew telling the doctor to please fasten his seat belt prior to take off, and his response was to yell and scream at the flight attendant or take a swing at him/her, there would be some relevance. Such is not the case.

The request by the airline is viewed as unreasonable under the circumstances and the majority agrees. Further, the airline is the aggressor in this situation, he merely said he wasn't willing to give up his seat.

Further clouding the issue is something I just picked up in reading one of the "news" articles here (same one that detailing his drug use, sex life, etc.). Apparently his wife was also on the flight and witnessed what transpired.

Was she also randomly bumped or was the airline "splitting the pair" (apropos since the doctor apparently is also a gambler ;))?

Regardless of your position vis a vis the airline's policy and actions, would your position change if YOU were sitting on that flight with your wife and told YOU were leaving and she was staying? Just sayin'

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

because if he wasn't a nut job, this situation would not have arisen.

It seems that the folks here and the

Who cares that a supposed majority thinks? What is the LAW?

majority? who cares. What is the LAW?

Further, the airline is the

so if some drunk walks into your house and refuses to leave . . .

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

He would have never disregarded authority if the airline never demanded he be removed for their error. I stated to you below, the authority was wrong and heads are gonna roll for their unjustified acts on him. Being a drama queen isn't breaking the law.

Reply to
Meanie

Read my reply below about my belief in the overbooking odds and higher costs. Corporate always have excuses for higher cost and if you believe them, you're a fool.

Reply to
Meanie

trespassing is, dram queen or no.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

They were some kind of transportation police, not very well trained. The guy should sue because they didn't follow the passenger notification rules so bzzt you lose. They could have offered more money and someone would have bit. Now they will pay millions. They could have transported the employees by ground as the destination is only four hours away. As usual the airline administration is rudderless.

Reply to
Tekkie?

+1
Reply to
Tekkie?

Their poor training is evident. Probably would have ended in the same result, although all the cameras would have shielded you from "the tussle claim" by the keystone kops.

Reply to
Tekkie?

They did NOT provide the information to the guy that feds require prior to ejection.

Reply to
Tekkie?

Hmm, I wonder what the case law is on this? The sky's are very unfriendly these days.

Reply to
Tekkie?

It is relevant. You have to obey the flight crew, whether it's to turn off your phone, sit down, or get off the plane. It really is that simple. And for double sure, when LEO arrives and they also tell you that you have to get off, you have to get off. If not, then we have a whole new system and less and less people will comply.

It's not a voting system, anymore than if you were in a store, had a disagreement with store management over a purchase and refused to leave the store.

Further, the airline is the

If you were in a hardware store, had a disagreement with the store manager and he told you to leave, can you just stand there, disrupt the whole store, refuse to leave? When they call the cops, what happens next?

That's a good question that someone should ask the airlines. They have the policy of going to random selection at some point. And you'd think that would have happened in the past. How they dealt with that would be interesting. What would they do, IDK. At least offer the wife the $500 or whatever too? I suspect this hasn't been a big problem because they deal with it before boarding, so if something like that comes up, they just use so simple logic to avoid it. Like if they need one seat, they don't pick someone traveling with someone else.

Reply to
trader_4

+1

And sadly now there are more and more of these. Why? I believe a lot of it is because they figure everyone has a phone, there will be a video and likely a $500K payday, a trip to Good Morning America, etc.

+1

A majority thinks those baggage fees suck too. Following the same logic, I guess you can have a hissy fit at check-in, block the line, refuse to leave......

Reply to
trader_4

You obviously don't understand economics 101. Higher costs, whether they are for labor, materials or empty seats, get passed along to the consumer. In free markets, prices don't get set by excuses, they get set by supply and demand.

Reply to
trader_4

It's more like - you've spent a lot of time and effort shopping and choosing the perfect gift for a loved one - you're so happy -

- you pay for it - but - on your way out the door the store manager says you must return it immediately, because their employee had it on hold. ... that's what it is more like. PS WestJet does not over-book - they run a very good and profitable airline - preferred over Air Canada by everyone I know. John T.

Reply to
hubops