poison ivy

How long does it take for a dead poison ivy vine to become inactive ?

About 10 years ago I noticed a poison ivy (maybe oak) vine about an inch in diameter growing up the side of a ceder tree that was about 30 feet tall. I cut the vine near the root. It has turned rotten over the years. Now the tree is dead and I want to cut it down.

Thing is even though the vine has turned to almost powder does it still have anything left in it that would be harmful ? Especially dust from a chain saw. Most of the vine is in a groove that runs up the side of the vine.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The chemist in me wanted to know and Dr. Google sez:

Urushiol oil stays active on any surface, including dead plants, for up to 5 years.

To be on the safe side you might want to use gloves and a dust mask when cutting down.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

This video eased some of my fear about poison ivy. I had a bad attack some years back and have been very cautious.

TimR

That is good advice. Problem I ws thinking of was using a chain saw might throw dust/oil everywhere and get in my eyes or lungs.

Hopefully that after 10 years the rotted vine will not have any active oil left.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I get poison ivy/oak rashes that are so bad that this thread is making me itch.

That said, that video has a couple of serious problems.

His basic premise is that anything that you have touched that has been exposed to urushiol - even years prior - could cause a rash so you need to use his 3 times washing technique within his specified time frame* after you touch the object.

Here's the problem: Do we know what has been exposed to urushiol? No, because if we did, we wouldn't touch it. Therefore, in order to follow his "wash it off" advice we would need to scrub 3 times with a washcloth within the specified time frame* every time we touch anything that could possibly have been exposed to urushiol, even years ago. Who is going to do that? (Sure, I touched that rake last month and didn't get a rash, but did I touch every part of it that might have been exposed? I don't know. I better go wash. With a washcloth. 3 times.)

Like I said, I get very bad rashes, so I know all about the washing it off rule. The problem is that I rarely know where it came from. When I break out, I do my best to think back. Where did I go? What did I touch? Have I touched anything or been anywhere in the last

24-48 hours that I haven't touched or been to a dozen or more times since the last rash? The answer is usually "No". Rarely can I pinpoint a possible source of exposure. I guess I should be washing more often. With a washcloth. 3 times. *Now let's talk about his specified time frame. What does he mean by "clean your skin within 2 - 8 hours of contact"?

Is 1 hour too soon? Of course not. Immediately would be the best. Can you wait as long as 8 hours? If so, how does the "2 hours" fit into the equation? Is it that some people need to wash within 2 and others can wait as long as 8? Who? Is it based on exposure amount - 2 is the max for a lot of exposure, 8 is the max for a tiny bit? I don't know, he doesn't explain it.

Besides, how would know if you were exposed to a little or to a lot? You can't see the oil like you can the grease, so you don't even know that you touched an object or put on a piece of clothing that had urushiol on it. That takes us all the back to having to follow his washing advice every time you touch anything or go anywhere where a possible exposure could occur.

Yes, his overall advice is correct: Wash off the oil and you'll never get a rash. However, putting his advice into practice means a lot of washing, with a washcloth, 3 times within (?) 2 - 8 hours (?) of every *possible* exposure.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

You should use tomato juice. No, wait, that's for skunks.

Prune juice. No, wait.

Reply to
micky

Can't you use a saw or axe to cut out a foot of the vine where you are about to use the chain saw?

I think I have what used to be called Johnson & Johnson First Aid Spray, with iirc lidocaine, and iirc I used tha once when I had poison ivy to stop the itching, and it worked. I had to spray again every few hours.

I'm not sure of the name but I'll check if you want me to.

Reply to
micky

The vine is in a grove in the tree so there is no way to cut any of it out.

I will probably just leave the tree where it is. It is out of the way in the back yard among other trees. Being ceder it probably will never rot or fall on its on.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You could soak it down with hair spray, probably catch most of the dust.

Reply to
TimR

The vine is an inch in diameter, the tree by this time is 12 - 15 inches I would guess. The total amount of vine sawdust is not going to be large.

When you cut with a chainsaw you can see which direction the chips are spraying. Just spray downwind.

Reply to
TimR

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 14:23:29 -0700, Bob F posted for all of us to digest...

My mother too! I just saw it on a store shelf, brought back memories and surprise it was still made.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Yeah, but it doesn't have naptha anymore. It may or may not still be effective on urushiol. Like TSP when you have something that works they'll ban it.

Reply to
rbowman