Poison ivy? ? ?

Today I did a lot of underbrush removal from an overgrown area. After I finished I was told there was poison ivy in the area.

I have no symptoms so far -- three or four hours. How long will I have to wait to find out if I got it?

I took a good shower, if that helps.

Reply to
Ray

You may never get it. But there was some type of soap folks used years ago that skips me at the moment. Reddish color hmmmn. Calendula is not it. The main point is to know how to identify poison ivy. 3 shining leave on a vine works for me understanding Virginia Creeper has four leaves and not shining. I remove it by hand with long sleeves and respect slowly.

Always good to scout it out and NEVER BURN it. Never Never Never

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

about a day or two. It starts with small blisters in places of direct contact before progressing to a full rash. I am sure with this heat you were not wearing gloves, long pants, or sleeves. Coating your arms and legs with technu now, several hours later, will help much more than the shower did. follow directions.

Reply to
simy1

Fels Naptha?

Reply to
Charles

"simy1" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Not just coating, applying the Teknu and scrubbing each area for at least 2 minutes, and then washing off with cool water. Teknu is god's gift-- I am

*highly* allergic to PI and this is the only stuff which removes the Urishiol Oil.
Reply to
David Bockman

If you DO get it, get you some absorbine Jr, it contains acetone and will not only take the itch out, will dry up the irritant.

chaz

Reply to
willy

A cold shower will not open your pores, so the irritants won't go in and further aggrivate you. Fels Naptha soap was what we used 50 years ago and I assume it still works to dissolve the oil from the plants.

Reply to
Stubby

I had a heavy turtle-neck shirt and gloves and long pants, all that, but it was hot, and I was chain-sawing some bushes, and reached up with my left hand and shoved the turtle-neck down a bit off my hot neck. The next day my neck turned red as a cherry where my glove had touched it. It stayed that way for nearly a week. My doctor was amazed and amused, but I was not... ;-)

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Windex with ammonia is good right after exposure -- I shit you not. That father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding was right. Windex is good for anything.

Reply to
Fragile "Joseph" Warrior

You sure that cherry wasn't what the young people call a "hickey."

Reply to
Ray

For whatever it's worth, I have developed no symptoms of anthing.

Reply to
Ray