How to kill poison ivy

Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff came back. What should I try next?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

you could try a product called vine-x.

Or anything with Triclopyr in it.

-dickm

Reply to
dicko

Well, *my* method is to pull it out by the roots.

I'm immune to the stuff, though. Most people aren't.

Maybe you have a buddy who is?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Round-up works well on poison ivy. The thing it, you probably need to apply it 2 or 3 times during one growing season and possibly again at the beginning of the next growing season. Poison Ivy is a pretty tough plant, and if even a small root is left barely clinging to life, the plant will re-sprout.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

diesel fuel

Reply to
Tony

Crossbow is another one -- it's a mixture of 2,4-D and triclopyr that may be more effective than just Roundup alone.

As another poster (and the above link) notes, poison ivy is tough stuff--even a trace of root alive will regenerate over a summer plus you may have seed from previous years germinating as well...it's a multi-year project if there's any established colony at all in all likelihood...

--

Reply to
dpb

"Dick Adams" wrote

In my experience, killing poison ivy is an ongoing chore. Two three times a year make the rounds and kill it when you find it. I use Round Up. As everyone else said, it's tough stuff and the roots are tenatious, besides that, birds eat the berries and spread it around that way. There is no, okay, it's gone forever.

I'm overly sensitive to poison ivy, so killing the stuff is no joke to me.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

gasoline

Reply to
tom

I've had good results with Roundup. You need to apply it strong, like

6%, not the strength used for common weeds. And you may need to apply it more than once if new growth emerges. There are also a variety of brush killer products available that are targeted at tough to kill brush and weeds.
Reply to
trader4

That's been my understanding also. You have to spray several times to actually kill the roots completely.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

Brush be gone worked fine for me, but that was years ago.

Reply to
Toller

be aware if you burn it,the smoke can make you break out just as well as touching it.Had a cousin who had to stay in the hospital because he breathed the smoke from burning poison ivy.We almost lost him.

Reply to
digitalmaster

Established Poison Ivy will require more than one application. New seeds are brought in by the birds along with a bird-dropping fertilizer.

Reply to
Phisherman

Garlon works well.

Reply to
Pat

God no, please tell me you don't burn poison ivy plants.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Hell no I don't burn anything even if I want not aloud in my area Tony

Reply to
Tony

Do you burn it quietly, if not aloud?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I dry it packed in small packages and sell it in Bronx $20 package, I am sorry that you guys don't know that.

Reply to
Tony

Google CALCIDE SOIL STERILIZER

Reply to
Rudy

If I thought diesel fuel or gasoline would work, I'd try it. That's how desparate I am. Someone in another thread suggested using Borax as a herbicide. Any comments will be appreciated.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams