Plumbing ?

Although everyone here already know this, I just found out today I am stupid.

Took apart the kitchen sink piping to clear a clog my snake could not get to. (Twenty years since I've had to do that) and when putting it back together slightly cracked the trap pipe.

Though it was very minor and a little foil tape fixed it..my bigger mistake was having my wife see me do that, so now I have to get a new trap.

The hardware store I always go to, due to the present health situation has curbside pickup.

I can just call in my order than they will bring it out.

Now comes the good part,

What in the hell do I ask for?

I would have thought the U- shaped pipe would be called a U- trap but when I went on-line I see they are called p-trap.

What in the hell is that for?

I guess if I simply asked for a U shaped sink trap they would know.

Also. I have to tell them what size.

I measure the OD and it's 1 9/16"

would that be what they call a 1 1/2 " pipe?

Maybe I will just tell my wife I put a new one in and screw the cabinet door shut.

Reply to
philo

I have always hated dealing with anything in the building business. Pipe sizes do not measure what they are called, even the simple 2x4 lumber has changed over the years.

The only way I can get anything to fit is to take the old part with me and physically match them.

Reminds me of about 40 years ago a friend needed a water pump for his car. Got one at the parts store and there was a needed bolt hold not drilled and tapped. Long story short , on the 3 rd trip back he took the old one. The parts man found 5 pumps listed for that car. Depends on if the car had AC, power stearing and a few other things as to how many of the holes were drilled and tapped for bolts. Too bad they could not must drill and tap all the holes on every one.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

huh... I had to look it up on Lowes web site. .. didn't know it was called a P-trap either. .. noticed the glue-up and the screw-up models. .. noticed clean-out and no clean-out models I know which one I would buy - not this one.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Whatever they have in stock will be fine

thanks

Reply to
philo

OK

Yep it's a p-trap evidently 1 1/2"

thanks

I feel comfortable doing minor repairs and know when to call a pro.

In the 40 years I've been in my house, Only needed a pro three times

Reply to
philo

Absolutely. Find a picture of new plumbing under the sink, print it, mount it to cardboaard, and put it in front of your pipes.

Reply to
micky

LOL

Just checked this morning and no leaks

so this will have low priority.

Will replace it but no need to rush right out and do it today

Besides, I have more important chores to ignore

Reply to
philo

It is called a P-trap or simply a drain trap.

Kitchen sink traps (pipes) are normally 1 1/2". Just tell them you need a trap (or P-trap)for the kitchen sink.

Don't do it, she will look and you'll be in bigger trouble.

Reply to
Hawk

Thanks

I will do it and I will do it right

My wife will not allow me to to anything half-assed when it comes to repairs.

BTW: She is not afraid to pitch on and help too.

When we remodeled the kitchen she did half the work. For under $3k our kitchen looks better than that of a friend who spent $60k.

We have seven duplex electrical outlets, each on their own breaker.

We can have on the toaster, microwave, coffee maker and more, all on at once.

When I moved in here the house was 115v 30 amp

First wired in 1932

His looks like a generic Home Depot show room

Reply to
philo

You may have to fix it sooner than that.

I found a picture of a leaking drain pipe, printed it and sent it to your wife. She's going to put it under the sink to encourage you.

Photograph is a two-edged sword.

Reply to
micky

Going to do it today.

Just no need to have done it first thing

Reply to
philo

Best maybe take old pieces to the store calling in advance and have them pick it out. I've made that mistake and it cost me an extra day without service and an extra trip to the store.

Reply to
Frank

That is what I would normally do.

I think I might just go to a smaller store that still has walk-in service.

Reply to
philo

That is nominal 1 1/2 and I would buy a trap "kit". It is a bunch of parts in a bag but you will have enough to do what you need to do without going back. They usually include the washers for 1 1/2 and 1

1/4 in the kit.
Reply to
gfretwell

It is a "P" trap because if you hold it up with the trap going out to the side it looks like a "P". An "S" trap has 2 "U" bends and is generally not legal these days. It is too hard to properly vent.

Reply to
gfretwell

That is what I would do.

Reply to
Frank

Nice. Many people believe they need to spend extravagantly to update (or they simply don't know how to do themselves) but you prove it can be done at a fraction. Also, kudos on the wife. Keep her happy. She have a sister?

Reply to
Hawk

Just tell them you were a clumsy dumb-ass and broke off the squiggly pipe thing on the kitchen sink drain and you need a new one for your wife to replace. Tell them it's 1 9/16 inches in diameter and they'll some out with what you need.

If you tell Home Despot that you'll get a sewer snake

Well it's not a 1 1/4 inch - which is your other choice

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's pretty much what they do now

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You'd need the screw-up model I assume???? <BG>

Reply to
Clare Snyder