cleaning baths- praps you know already

Just done a long overdue overhaul of my bathroom. You know the kind of thing: new silicone seals, clean up grouting, new taps and so on. The bath had developed a film, presumably a mixture of soaps residues and calcium carbonate. Anyway it wouldn't come off with strong detergent. Then valiant assistant, otherwise known as son, told me to try bio washing powder. 'Fill the bath up with warm water and then put in lots of the powder', sez he. Tried, and hey presto brilliantly clean. Just thought I'd share it.

To clean up the shower curtains, which were *bad* I put them in a large sink and poured full-strength thick bleach on. A bit of water then a good few stirs to make sure all the muck got done, and they were as good as new. I thought it might damage the fabric, but this is the second time I've done it and all is well.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Was that a cast-iron enamelled bath? Maybe I didn't use enough powder, although it did make a difference somewhat. I was told by someone that it's the prewash bio one is supposed to use.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

That works for all sorts of cleaning problems.

In what way were they bad and why?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I find it is brilliant for getting heavy oily dirt out of my hands.

Reply to
IMM

You actually get your hands dirty?

Good heavens.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

No. He actually gets them clean.

I do wish people would pay more attention to these posts.

By the way IMM: do you leave your hands in the bath full of biological thingumy and water all night or is it only necessary to fill the bath as per spec., above?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

They had a big gash in them and they were full of blood. Don't you watch the movies Mary?

:)

Patrick

Reply to
Meoww

I actually do. I don't wear DeWalt boots in the boozer either.

Reply to
IMM

It is the inability to focus on a topic for a few minutes, that is the problem.

Fill as above.

Reply to
IMM

Heavens! You mean you haven't washed them since then? That was decades ago - I saw the original film!

Perhaps it was even longer ago than that ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What is this whole thing with dewalt anyway? Their prices are barmy, most of the time, I cant imagine how they could sell a battery charger and radio for 100 a pop.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

About 40 cm band of black mouldy stain at the bottom (I am ashamed to say). Don't know how I put up with it. Usual reason I guess. 'Must get round to that'.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Oh. I've seen that on others' but never on ours - I'm not pulling rank, I don't know why. Ours hasn't been washed for about three years. I smell it occasionally to see if it needs to be laundered.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

.> > About 40 cm band of black mouldy stain at the bottom (I am

Hmmm..

Praps its a combination of very hard water building up a suitable surface and/or the particular soaps that we use? The build-up on the plastic bath surface was substantial too. I know that tea-blenders use a different mix of teas in different parts of the country for the same brand-name of tea.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Ours is cast iron ...

We don't put tea in the bath. We don't want tea to be contaminated with coal. Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes that was a bit bizarre wasn't it? Its not just tea-blenders who need to adjust the mix to suit the water. Brewers often adjust the water to match the River Trent. After being filtered of course!

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Since we're north of the Trent it doesn't apply ...

But I wouldn't drink Tetleys, made only a mile or so away. Come to think of it, just the other side of the Aire :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher