Any suggestions for cleaning waching machine?

Not really a current problem (AFAIK), but something I occasionally think about. The last time I saw inside our old washing machine drum (i.e. the plastic outer one, when I had the inner stainless one out), it was full of rather nasty gunk. A sort of mixture of sludge and fluff, which no doubt some of you will have seen. Well, that machine was replaced a few years ago (a Hotpoint that I just couldn't get the bearings out of), but I sometimes think that its replacement is probably becoming equally nasty. Is there anything that can be done regularly to stop it? I do a monthly empty wash at 90, because I read somewhere that it was a good idea. I also sometimes think about getting the Calgon tablets, but each time I look at the box, it seems mainly to do with limescale, which is no problem at all around where I live.

Reply to
gogmagog

When you do your monthly boil wash chuck in half a bag (about

500g) of Soda Crystals (costs about £1.10 for a kg bag at the coop).

If you want something more in the spirit of using tools, drag it outside and remove the filter, open the door and set about it with your pressure washer (through the drum), drag it back in, reconnect and do a boil wash.

Simples!

Reply to
Him & Her

?

Never ever done one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I wonder if it's down to the detergent? I don't get this in mine, using Persil Bio Powder, and never done a boil wash. Most washes are at 40 (35 in previous machine), and occasionally one at 60. The fabric softener (Lenor) does leave a deposit which goes moldy in the dispensor, but that's easily cleaned.

Unless you do loads of boil washes in a hard water area, you won't get any scale build up. Even 60C isn't really hot enough for that, and you'll get nothing at all at regular 40C washes. A 25 year old Hotpoint I throw out which had been used in a hard water area and never been descaled still had a clean heating element. The Calgon ads seem to rely on unfounded scare tactics.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Use white vinegar instead of fabric softener?

Reply to
polygonum

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

: > When you do your monthly boil wash : : ? : : Never ever done one.

Do you use liquid or powder?

Powder is actually better as it contains a bleaching agent which helps keep the machine clean. But, whatever you use you should do a maintenance wash every month. Clean filter, do boil wash with empty machine (use powder / soda crystals / salt), clean filter again.

Do this every month, last machine lasted 20+ years and was only replaced to get something cheaper to run (6 years ago).

Reply to
Him & Her

Yes, some powders seem to have a mostly insoluble bulking agent. Never had any trouble with the Costco stuff we use.

Couldn't agree more. Took the heating element out of ours after about 13 years (constant use in a hard water area) and....nothing.

[the element was fine, the seal had failed]
Reply to
Bob Eager

There can be several causes for gunk buildup; door not left open to vent mo= isture; use of washing liquid rather than powder; lots of low temperature w= ashing; low water usage rather than "higher water level" of old machines; m= achine design.

Some Bosch used to be notorious for gunk buildup in both drum & drawer.

White vinegar is probably ok for a plastic drum, but bleach is not. There a= re tablets (Affresh) you can buy, which are very expensive (=A310-12 for 3)= .

Check if the machine is back syphoning, or using a shared sink which due to= other blockage can cause sink water to end up back in the machine. Very un= likely, but it only takes a little tilt to the "flora & fauna" to create a = buildup problem.

Reply to
js.b1

I've had real success keeping mine clean with the simple application of ordinary washing soda every few /several /many /when I can remember washes. Just add it to the normal wash - about a cupful and carry on as normal. When I can be arsed, I'll boil wash the machine (empty) with a cupful of vinegar in it. The water around here is a hard as a witch's broomstick.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks all, for the excellent suggestions. Soda crystals are now on the shopping list.

Reply to
gogmagog

Once a month or once every N washes? I only build up a full load every two weeks, should I really be doing a maintenance wash every two loads?

JGH

Reply to
jgh

The size of the load makes no difference really, the machine is still being used and most people tend to put the same amount of powder/liquid in regardless.

In your case you will probably find that bi-monthly is fine as any maintenance is better than none at all.

Also make sure you lift the fold in the door seal and wipe around there with a damp cloth, an old flannel is good for this.

Regards,

Reply to
Him & Her

50 or 100g is nearer the mark than 500g

NT

Reply to
NT

: 50 or 100g is nearer the mark than 500g

I disagree. The fact that the OP's washing is getting stained means there is already a build up so it will likely need 2 or 3 boil washes with 500g followed by a rinse cycle.

If this was a just purchased new machine then once a month with

100g would be fine as "maintenance".

Regards,

Reply to
Him & Her

Actually, it was an older machine that was gunked up. It was clean enough inside the metal drum, but when I took the drum out (an abortive attempt to change the bearings, which I didn't even manage to get out with a lump hammer), the outer drum was full of sludge. Now we have a newer machine, I want to avoid the same thing happening.

Actually, now that our three year old boy has a sand pit, I expect that the insides are getting regularly blasted anyway. He's a messy little sod when it comes to sand. I shudder to imagine what that's doing to the machine.

Reply to
gogmagog

FWIW Miele recommended a periodic biological hot (95degC) wash to clean the sludge out (we do a lot of cool washes with non-Bio powder).

Did this last night and totally blocked the outlet pipe with sludge/limescale which was dislodged. After cleaning all the pipes, and another 95degC and then rinse washes, the pipes and filter are "clean" again.

So now to see if it washes clean again (we were seeing brown smudges on clothes) and try and keep it clean in future - but boy were we surprised at the crap coming out. 4 years of stuff I suppose!

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Thanks for that tip.

I was pretty sure my machine had a seal design that didn't attract mould (and I always leave the door open when not in use) but when I read that I went to check, just in case.

I was right. No mould. But I did find an old sock that I hadn't seen for weeks!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell