Please face forward and hold the handrail

They went the other way in Lee County traffic court. The judge said "You all had the opportunity to forfeit collateral and not waste my time but if you want a trial you can have on. Just know, my guilty verdicts come with fines of $500 and up so if you want to reconsider there is a table in back where you can pay".

I suppose a good lawyer would be able to make a case that there was something unconstitutional there but pretty much everyone paid.

In Maryland traffic court, the normal outcome was half the fine and half the points so it was worth doing.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm sure Toronto had those too. It might have been a difference clientele at other hours but my crew and I would hit one after knocking off for the day, tired and dirty. Most of the other customers seemed to be working men too. A guy would circulate among the tables with a tray of draft beer. He had one of those belt mounted coin machine to make change. I don't remember there being any choice involved, you just got a glass of beer whatever they were pouring. A woman could make it as far as the vestibule but then she'd have to recruit a messenger to go bother the old man.

You could find almost anything you wanted on Yonge Street but not in a working man's slop chute.

Reply to
rbowman

Maybe insead of the city police just having general officers, they should have a lower paid traffic devision where they just go around handling traffic calls, and maybe spending the time where they are not checking traffic patrolling shopping center parking lots looking for other law breakers.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Due to insurance fraud, some insurance companies now demand documentation for even minor auto accidents.  If you don't comply with their heavy-handed rules...no soup for you!

Maybe instead of the democrats wasting time and tax dollars on the Trump witch-hunt, maybe the lazy slugs could create some better insurance laws for the customers who pay the premiums?  Or maybe the lazy elected slugs could do something useful by policing the minor auto accidents?  Or maybe the insurance company should send an investigator out to the accident if they want documentation?  I know, wishful thinking.

Reply to
fuxt

One of our sons is an insurance company lawyer. I hear it from both sides. Some people get a scratch on their car, they think they have won the lottery. They bring in evidence of injuries for things like bad backs which were bad before the accident. There are even shady doctors that will lie for them. Ends up increasing cost of insurance for all of us.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

invalid unparseable

So your car gets hit, now you want to wait for the insurance company to send an investigator? Yeah, that makes sense.

Sometimes you need the police. When I got hit the police came in minutes, three of them. No one hurt but ambulance showed up too. Drunk lady that hit me was taken away in handcuffs, I went to the station and gave a statement, report was available for the insurance. Really easy.

Back in 1982 I hit a young lady on a bicycle and put her into the windshield. Police established blame, had a witness, she was liable. My insurance paid for my car because she had nothing to collect from but they paid nothing for her medical bills. This was about 7:30 AM and she was on her way home from a party when she turned right in front of me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Right. I have no problem paying legitimate claims but it seems there are huge payouts if you are willing to wear a neck brace for a few weeks.

Ever watch Judge Judy? She often asks the plaintiff where they work. Often the answer is "I'm on disability" Seems to be a disproportionate amount of people on disability looking for another payday.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had an accident last year and found insurance company gets hosed by others. We had to fight to get my car out of impound which was charging them a high daily fee. Hospital was also double billing them. Whenever there is a pile of money available the vultures start circling.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

JJ is entertainment, nothing more. If you think the real world is anything like JJ, then you're not thinking clearly. Even if, and it's a longshot, anything they say on the program represents reality, it's a corner case, not the normal.

It's sad that anyone would draw conclusions about their fellow americans based on a really stupid TV show.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It may be entertainment but it still shows a trend. They were real court cases before the show. Ehat is stupis is the number of people that get away with crap like that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Actually, it doesn't show anything like a trend. Do you think they would ever pick a boring case with no drama such as is the reality of 99.9999% of court cases in the legal system? No, they pick sensationalist cases that attract eyeballs; they're no different than the National Inquirer or the Daily Mail; pure sensationalism.

You're taking selection bias to the extreme by applying anything from that show to reality.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Sounds like MSNBC and CNN. They are just looking for ratings too, trying to beat Fox. It is all "Entertainment TV" these days.

Reply to
gfretwell

  I'm calling bullshit on that 109° degrees . I mean , that's only 10° above body temp ! The burn temp is more like 120-125° , and that depends on the age and health of the person involved . I keep my main water heater set at 125° , and rinse off in the shower under straight hot water . Not everybody likes it that hot but it won't burn the average adult . Now the small w/h under the house that supplies the kitchen sink and the dishwasher is set at max , around 140-145° for sanitation reasons (it's fed from the main w/h).
Reply to
Terry Coombs

At 120F water will cause 1st degree burns in 8 minutes and 3rd in 10 At 125F water will cause 1st degree burns in 2 minutes and 3rd in 4 At 130F water will cause 1st degree burns in 17 seconds and 3rd in 30 At 140F water will cause 1st degree burns in 3 seconds and 3rd in 5 At 155 water will cause 1st degree burns instantly and 3rd in 1 sec.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You're correct, my mistake. I failed to view time exposure and instead, quickly glanced at this website.

Though, 120 or higher can cause burns, maybe not 3rd degree, but hot enough to cause an accident if driving and discomfort if not. Coffee is brewed hotter than 120.

Reply to
Hawk