Panasonic Microwave - Why such a good buy?

I probably should have posted this before I bought it...

Best Buys has a Panasonic microwave for sale; $70 off. It is about 20% larger than any of the others and about 10% more powerful. Yet it is one of the cheaper models. It seems too good to be true; is there something wrong with it?!

I understand it does not have the sensors that the expensive ones have, but still....

Reply to
Toller

Go for it! Most, if not all, people I know only use their microwave to heat cold coffee and tea and reheat yesterdays leftovers. I don't know anyone who actually cooks with it, save for bacon which actually comes out pretty good. I don't like food cooked in a microwave. It always has a synthetic feel about it. Can't really explain it, but it doesn't seem like it is really cooked like food prepared on the stovetop or regular oven. Des

Reply to
Des Perado

My wife and her family are all confirmed tea drinkers who like the ritual of making a pot of tea. They always claimed that tea made from water boiled in a microwave was "not the same". They have completely 100% failed the blindfold test on several occasions, including a case where I boiled the water conventionally, and TOLD them it was microwaved. They continue to insist there is a difference.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

That is because it does not have all the necessary shielding to provide protection from the microwaves that will be frying your gonads!!!

Just kidding, but I recently bought a Samsung microwave with all sorts of fancy buttons for $80 from Target and it was cheaper than the one we bought

10 years ago. If you haven't noticed, electronic items have become much less expensive in recent years. Must be the cheap labor in China and Korea.
Reply to
badgolferman

Hi,

Does it heat the food?....if yes may not be anything wrong with it :)

I believe Panasonic has a 2 year warranty, you should have lots of time to figure out if something is wrong with it :)

Maybe a clearance model?....last years?....Panasonic is generaly a good microwave.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I cook my Thanksgiving turkey (with sliced apples of course) in my Sharp microwave every year and I get many compliments on how much juicer it is compared to an oven cooked turkey.

Reply to
Petro

~ >

~ ~ I cook my Thanksgiving turkey (with sliced apples of course) in my Sharp ~ microwave every year and I get many compliments on how much juicer it is ~ compared to an oven cooked turkey. ~ Is that a convection microwave, browning microwave, or regular?

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

"Toller" wrote in news:YV0Kb.46413$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Is it an "inverter technology" model? If so,it could be cheaper because the inverter is cheaper to make than the big iron-core transformer.That's one of the biggest expenses,parts-wise.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

a Sharp carousel II "regular" micro from 1985. still runs like a charm.

Reply to
Petro

The LCD on our Panasonic microwave died after a year. It is now 5 years old and we still use it, but unless you knew what the LCD used to say, you're up a creek.

Use the extra dollars off to get an extended warranty. But then again, this is Best Buy; I've heard that their repair department sucks.

Reply to
O.B.