Painting aluminum siding

Aluminum siding seems to last forever as long as it's not dented up from abuse. But over time the finish starts to wear off. I am facing that. I asked a local home repair store and they said to just use any exterior paint. I dont agree, and I have heard there is a special paint made for it. But those store clerks will say anything to make a sale. What is the product made for it?

Reply to
Bud

I spray painted aluminum gutters with regular latex exterior paint, Benjamin Moore with great results. Prepping, power washing it and applying a good primer suitable for metal is key.

Reply to
trader_4

The BEST paint for the job is an alkyd modified acrylic latex.From Benjamin Moore's website: Moorglo® 100% Acrylic Latex House Paint is a premium quality, semi-gloss paint fortified with alkyd resin. It delivers a high-build paint film for excellent durability and long lasting protection. It has the ability to cover in one coat provided the surface is in good condition and the color change is not extreme. It is the perfect coating to repaint aluminum siding.

This is what I had my siding painted with over 10 years ago and it is still like new. (siding is about 45 years old)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

20 years ago or so, I washed my aluminum siding with TSP (the real stuff) and then rinsed it with a garden hose. I didn't have a power washer at the time, but I was told you could just power wash it. All the whitish oxidation came off. I then painted it with regular house paint, medium gloss, using a roller and brush. It looked great and as far as I know, it is still good today (moved 10 years ago).
Reply to
Art Todesco

BTW, I just remembered, it was Pratt & Lambert paint.

Reply to
Art Todesco