What better aluminum or vinyl siding?

Wall or soffit material. Trim would be aluminum ...

Reply to
TP

That's up to you. As for me, I would select, and have selected, vinyl. Vinyl's color extends through the material. Vinyl does not *chalk* like the paint on aluminum. Vinyl has a texture molded into the siding. Vinyl is easy to remove and replace without damage, when alterations have to be made (it easily unzips and rezips with a hand held siding tool). Vinyl does not dent like aluminum (hail, errant baseballs, etc.). My house has continuously perforated vinyl soffits. All my exterior wood trim is covered in white aluminum flashing.

Reply to
willshak

IMHO they're both junk. For a quality, long-lasting product, check out cement-cellulose siding. Brands are Hardi-Board and others similar. As a building inspector, I've been favorably impressed with it. Not the cheapest, but I think it will work far better over the long term. The quality builders around here are moving to it, the shlocks are sticking with aluminum or vinyl.

Reply to
Dan

"Dan" wrote

As a building inspector you should know impression has nothing to do with costs. You should know if everything was built top notch, it would be brick or stone. Homes are built for selling, income, location, being functional, best bang for the buck (typical tract stuff). Then you get into custom homes. Stick to the topic posted and quit trying to push that shit that's already had some serious problems. Inspectors don't inspect based on quality. They inspect for code. I think you're a know nothing smuck.

Reply to
Ralph Miller