OT: Why are printers constantly redesigned with no improvements?

If I ever need a new printer it would probably be an Epson.

Old HP printers allowed for refilling cartridges then they made access difficult if not impossible. I could buy re-inked cartridges for a while then HP put a chip in the cartridge not allowing them to work.

Reply to
Frank

Most do now.

Nope, so there is a very cheap sticker price and the stupids only find out about the full price later.

Not bad so much as with non obvious downsides and most lose the receipt and cant actually return it.

Actually to gouge the more ignorant buyers.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Kodak had about a 60 year run starting with the first Brownie in 1900 before Fuji found their way off the island.

Reply to
rbowman

There were plenty of other film manufacturers back in the day. Ilford Agfa Konica...

cf

The point is that they were all made to common standards, there was little attempt to make film and cameras exclusive apart from polaroid

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

kodak did their best. The original Brownie was 117 and the Brownie 2 was

120. 116 was around a while, and several other 1xx types. There may have been valid reasons for the variety but they did not interchange. I can't even remember the camera or the film size but a roll I bought was close but no cigar.

I remember Ansco which was an Agfa subsidiary in the US but I'd never heard of Ilford. The Japanese films didn't get much penetration until after the war.

I never was much of a person for taking pictures then or now so I'm not talking about what was available for the serious photographers, just what you'd find in the drug store for your Brownie. In the US Kodak owned the consumer camera market and the film market up until the '60s.

More serious photographers went Rolleiflex until the 35mm's started to get popular in the '60s.

"As late as 1976, Kodak commanded 90% of film sales and 85% of camera sales in the U.S."

Then Fuji ate their lunch. They both saw digital cameras coming but Fuji made better choices.

Reply to
rbowman

Richard

That is not true.

Do your research before you buy a printer.

I can refill both my lazer printer and an inkjet myself and save tons of money.

Take care,

Andy

/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/swriter --nologo

Reply to
AK

I agree that is why I've been using the same HP machines wit refilled toner and inks for many many years now. I think if you do not make a new product, you will not sell any printers. However I do not see the need to change the consumable designs at all, since in the end people will always need that. I also abhor the 1/3rd full ink or toner in carts sold with printers attitude. Put the price up and sell it with a full system. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yip, another con. I bought a brand new HP colour laser for my work (last HP I ever bought, changed to Brother after that) which cost half the price of the replacement toners. Turns out they were only a quarter full. Goodbye HP.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I buy a printer when I need a printer. I don't see why making it cosmetically different would make me buy one when I already have one. In fact changing iso I can't use my existing cartridges means I go off that manufacturer for ever.

Don't take this the wrong way, but why would a blind man need a printer?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Even worse than they currently are? That's not possible.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The you have the wrong stocks.

I got burned by some like Ford but made out well with others. Should have kept one I bought into and out of about 8 or 10 years ago called IMMU. A cancer drug as the main product. QRVO has been a good day trading stock for me. They are around $ 100 now and bounce 3 to 5 dollars almost every day.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Please go and work in a bank so people can get some interest on their savings, because the current rate is a fraction of a percent. Someone very high up is not investing as well as you.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The banks are probably making money for the investers. Just not paying out any to the ones in savings. I have not even looked at the CDs and savings interist in years it is so low. Not much to be made with banks now. The home loans are only around 4 % or less, Car loans even less as most motor companies are offering no interist or very low. The big money is in credit cards, those things are mostly over 10% with many over 20 %

Chase and BOA are paying about 2 to 3 % and Wells-Fargo about 8 % to the stock holders now.

I do not do bonds as I have not taken time to research how they work.

This year I lost around 100,000 dollars in a 401 K for a while,but now I am about even for the year from that last drop. But it is still up better than 25 % from around the time Trump was elected. I had 5 mutual funds and 2 of them did not recover very well,so they are going to be traded off in a few days for different ones if the DOW drops to

26,000 or less. It has been taking wild swings for the last while.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I don't understand savings. Why can't a savings account invest the money in whatever is making the money for your stuff?

Not much to be made with banks

They've been that low for 20 years in the UK. Any more than that and nobody would be able to afford a house.

If you need a loan to buy a car, don't. Just get a 2nd hand one.

I had one at 40% which I cancelled with many many grands in it. Gotta love unsecured loans.

I've never owned that much dollars! Although I have owed it.

I do not like uncertainty with large sums of money.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Rule of thumb used to be 100-age for percent of your savings that should be in stocks. Today people are suggesting things like 120 is the new

100. I stick with the old.
Reply to
Frank

That's not how banks work or how the interest rate banks pay is determined either.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That is why you have never owned many dollars.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The rule of thumb has been out for many years now. The stock market and other money makers have been going crazy for the last good number of years.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Chips don't seem to stop fake inks. Almost every printer (including Epson) has chipped cartridges, but the chips can easily be copied. Brother don't use them last time I bought one. The fake cartridges for that were half the price, as no chip. $1.20 instead of $2.40.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey