OT: Why are printers constantly redesigned with no improvements?

Every time I buy a new printer, it's changed. New stupid quirks, different ink cartridges. But not faster, not better quality, nothing useful. There was no need to make it different.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Profit, of course. They don't care about you. They know your old printer will fall apart and you'll have to buy whatever crap they're selling.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I guess it depends on what you are comparing to. My laser printer sits in a box since we moved as my couple of years old inkjet does everything I need with good quality.

An HP Envy is about $100 and far superior to printers I paid much more for years ago. My first color printer was $300 in the 1980s.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I guess it depends on what you are printing and how much. I do not print very much and seldom needed color. I replaced an ink jet 'all in one' with a laser 'all in one'. The laser is much faster, prints both sides of the paper. I do not print very much so do not have to worry about the ink drying out. The toner does not care how old it is. I have read where some of the HP printers and ink refills have dates encoded in them and will just quit even if half full of ink.

It seems more about the ink than the printer. One can not tell me that a printer can sell for less than $ 100 and the ink is about half that.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

HP makes a good printer and probably makes no profit on it but makes a ton of money selling ink. I remember people at Kodak telling me the same thing about their cameras and film years ago.

There are Canon printers that cost more but ink is cheap and lasts a long time. I do not know how good the printers are.

Reply to
Frank

I'm still using an Epson Stylus Photo R220 that I bought around 2002/2003, with ink that I bought in 2005. I'm amazed that it works.

When I bought the R220, I actually bought 8 of them because the store was closing them out for $39, (I bought 4), then final close out at $29 (I bought 4 more). At the time, a full set of ink was about $60 so I just bought the printers to get the ink. I ended up donating 6 of the printers, keeping one to use and one as a spare. The spare is still in its box.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I thought new printers all came with low ink supply cartridges.

Reply to
Frank

Definitely not all. I had a laser printer that came with 'starter' toner carts, but the ink for my Epson was full size. I can't speak for other printers.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Yip, another con. I bought a brand new HP colour laser for my work (last HP I ever bought, changed to Brother after that) which cost half the price of the replacement toners. Turns out they were only a quarter full. Goodbye HP.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Profit is good, not bad... and doesn't deserve the derision you show toward it.

How do ya' suppose all those stocks and mutual funds in your retirement account would be doing if the underlying companies weren't raking in those nasty profits?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Yip, another con. I bought a brand new HP colour laser for my work (last HP I ever bought, changed to Brother after that) which cost half the price of the replacement toners. Turns out they were only a quarter full. Goodbye HP.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

ROTFPMSL! I turned down a free HP printer and bought a new Epson.

That's criminal and I don't put up with it. I buy my ink in 1 litre bottles, equating to $0.15 a cartridge.

Except film cameras used any film. You could have put Fuji film in the Kodak camera.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

ROTFPMSL! I turned down a free HP printer and bought a new Epson.

That's criminal and I don't put up with it. I buy my ink in 1 litre bottles, equating to $0.15 a cartridge.

Except film cameras used any film. You could have put Fuji film in the Kodak camera.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nothing by HP works, ever. It's like buying a Lada.

And lasers don't clog, and the ink doesn't run if it gets wet. I'll get a colour laser next time.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nothing by HP works, ever. It's like buying a Lada.

And lasers don't clog, and the ink doesn't run if it gets wet. I'll get a colour laser next time.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But.... why not just sell me the same model again? I'm not stupid enough to think something with a different number on the front and a slightly more rounded case will last longer. If it breaks, I buy from a different manufacturer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But.... why not just sell me the same model again? I'm not stupid enough to think something with a different number on the front and a slightly more rounded case will last longer. If it breaks, I buy from a different manufacturer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The Brother laser printers come with a low-output toner cartridge, too...about third/half of the real thing.

--

Reply to
dpb

Low end printers sell at a loss, hoping enough will use genuine ink that the manufacturer makes a profit on.

Reply to
Rod Speed

My Samsung came with a starter cartridge also.

That did not surprise me as I thought most all printers did. Probably so that you can test the printer out and return it if you do not like it. Then there is the chance that the printer may be bad and will be returned.

Plus as we all know it is a way for the company to save a buck.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery