OT Wearing disposable gloves

I received those I ordered yesterday. I found two problems:

If you have arthritis and curled fingers it is very difficult to get them on. Any tips?

How do you handle paying for things with gloves on? I don't like to use cash; too likely to have the virus on it. If you use a check you could end up with virus on the checkbook, pen, etc. Hard to clean up. If you use credit cards you have to handle your wallet. I tried putting a card (or several if having card problems) in my shirt pocked. Them sanitizing them after getting home and storing what I bought. Awkward. Better ideas?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Sounds like a whole lotta hassle. Self isolation usually involves shopping only once per week ; get things delivered ; use hand sanitizer liberally ; don't touch your face or eyes ; keep your cell phone clean ; thorough soap & water hand hygeine ; Only use the gloves when there is no other way. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Shop as normal, using cash or whatever. Don't touch your face. Wash your hands thoroughly after you come home. Don't touch your wallet or checkbook for a few days. Here's my favorite handwashing video:

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

How about a little powder on your hands first. If no powder in the house, corn starch would do the same.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not to dismiss the infectiousness of the COVID-19 virus, or the serious risk to health from becoming infected, but you're probably over-reacting by using gloves while conducting public activities of daily living. Studies have found significant contamination with infectious hepatitis viruses, toxic e-coli (and other fecal bacteria), and other dangerous pathogens that are in actively infectious condition on cash, publicly shared pens, etc. Yet, how many of us become infected with those diseases from those sources even though we don't routinely wear gloves or take the other precautions you're discussing? Of course, if you have a medical condition that substantially compromises your immune system, your physician(s) may want you to use gloves - but I'm not referring to people in that situation. Follow the CDC recommendations to make sure to keep your hands away from your mouth, nose and eyes, even better from your entire face. Be a good citizen and wear a face covering when you're out and about to minimize the risk of infecting others if you happen to be an asymptomatic carrier. Maintain social distancing (6 ft. minimum) and carefully and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds after returning home.

If you really feel the compunction to wear gloves, you may find that powdering your hands with a cornstarch or other non-talc powder will make it easier for your fingers to fit into your gloves.

Reply to
Peter

A friend says he prefers this one:

invalid unparseable

I don't think the gloves do much good at all if you have some hand sanitizers or I suppose you could take some bleach solution in a spray bottle with you to use when you return to the car. If you get virus on the gloves, you're going to transfer some of it to everything you touch after that, stuff you put in your cart, just like with your hands. I just take a sani wipe to use on the cart handle, keep it on the handle, keep my hands on that and when I get back to the car, use another one to wipe my hands after putting the bags in the car.

Reply to
trader_4

IN case you hadn't noticed, corona is much infectious than any of the ones you mentioned. That's how it has spread so fast.

So your first 8 lines are no good.

And so what does the CDC say about touching things from the supermarket? What does it say about wearing gloves?

Hint: it doesn't agree with you.

Reply to
micky

" Clean and disinfect frequently touched services. "

- copy & paste from CDC :-)

Perhaps they mean " surfaces " ... let's not get into the education system .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Infectiousness is a product of two different characteristics of the pathogen, one being the anatomical target on or in the body that the infectious agent enters to cause the infection and the other being the dose of infective agent required to cause clinical infection once the agent has penetrated the target. The corona virus does NOT penetrate intact skin. As long as you have no open wounds on your hands, you could contaminate them with a very high dose of corona virus and you wouldn't get infected unless your hands had contact with your mouth, nose, or eyes. Even if you have a break in the skin on your hands, the dermal layer of the skin is not known to be hospitable to the replication or dissemination of the corona virus. The victim's mucosal membranes are the susceptible target. As to the dose of virus necessary to reliably cause infection, that is unknown.

Please provide the url or other retrievable citation from the CDC that says that gloves are an important tool in minimizing the risk of COVID-19 for the uninfected person when out in a public setting. infection. The only CDC information on their web pages that I find which mentions gloves is in the context of people taking care of patients with either known or suspected COVID-19 infection, not in the case of ostensibly uninfected people to minimize their risk of becoming infected.

Gloves do NOT prevent you from touching a contaminated object and then touching your eyes, nose or mouth with the gloved hand. And, most people who haven't trained in sterile technique don't know the proper way to remove gloves without contaminating bare skin.

Reply to
Peter

Aint THAT the truth!!!

Or wear a larger size.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

KenK pretended :

Soapy water?

Unfortunately, gloves won't protect you from touching a virus covered surface and transferring that virus to your lips, nose, or eyes. If you are doing this to avoid a virus, making a habit of washing your hands instead is better.

I just went to the hospital, I usually don't use the handrail but this time I did as someone came past me. I got to where I was going and went straight to the restroom to wash my hands. Had I been wearing gloves I might not have even noticed having contacted the handrail.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I saw a woman in the supermarket with a Dunkin Donuts coffee in one hand and she was talking on a cell phone in the other hand. That seems like a bad model. I leave the cell phone home, it's just one more thing to get contaminated needlessly. I have the credit card in my pocket, not in my wallet, to avoid contaminating that.

Reply to
trader_4

Went to the liquor store this afternoon with gloves and mask. Store was well equipped with wipes, clerks all wearing gloves and masks and cashiers behind a clear shield with cut out for credit card use. I had no problem getting out wallet and card. Since the reader read the chip I really didn't touch much. At the car, I wiped my gloves and packages with the stores wipe which I threw away.

If you have problem putting gloves on, buy the largest size.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I sanitize my hands as soon as I open the car door and before I close it. I try to keep the inside of my car as clean as I can. I also sanitize everything as soon as it comes in the house, using the "clean surface/dirty surface" protocol in that You Tube video. I keep a sink full of soapy water and a lot of stuff gets scrubbed there. Then I clean up the "dirty" side.

Reply to
gfretwell

A little bit at a time.

And get one glove mostly off before taking the other one off.

Well I have a chip card and I'm hoping it doesn't get many viruses in that slot. Don't know for sure. Will probably never know because I don't know if anyone who used the slot before me was sick or not.

I take my gloves off when I get to the car, and I figure the handles of the plastic grocery bags are not infected. The food might be but I don't use if a few days, except the fresh food does have to go in the fridge. That's a flaw.

Reply to
micky

I put on a different pair of shoes that I keep in the car too and spray the bottoms with bleach solution before returning them to the car. I was thinking about contacting some spit, etc while walking and then having it in the footwell where the HVAC could possibly distribute it. Or tracking it into the house, later the remote falls on the floor, etc. Probably very low risk, but easy to fix and gives me more peace of mind.

Reply to
trader_4