OT: Public transport

Do that in some parts of the US and we'll be reading about you in the Daily Mail.

Reply to
rbowman

I was of course only referring to civilised countries. We grew out of shooting everything.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I did almost collide with one. But instead because it was so f****ng bright I couldn't see anything else at all. I had the choice of going into a wall one side, or the cyclist the other side, so I erred on the side of hitting the cyclist, and blasted the horn. I saw the light move, so I think he had to get out of the way, hopefully jumping through a hedge.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why would throwing money at the poor not work for lazy blacks? Could they not read the claim forms?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You know what they say about the road to hell... I wouldn't put it past LBJ though. The problem I see:

1965 good idea 1970 not working as well as intended 1975 still not working 1980 no joy 1985 Midnight Basketball! 1990 oh, shit they're slinging crack on the basketball courts 1995 Personal Responsibility and Work Oportunity Act 2000 another fail

Sounds like the definition of insanity to me and after almost 60 years there has to have been a lot of deliberation along the way.

Reply to
rbowman

Why on earth would that have any meaning whatsoever? It's no more public than my car, just me in it apart from the driver, going to where I want to go, unlike a bus.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Next year will be nasty. There will be a lot of out of state money on both sides trying to get/keep control of the Senate. I like Tester and voted for him the last two times but it will be a tough choice if it means getting the Senate. Unlike most of the slick talkers when he's not in DC he's home plowing his fields and planting. I think that's what Jefferson had in mind rather than career leeches.

Reply to
rbowman

On May 3, 2023 at 5:41:22 PM MST, "rbowman" wrote snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

There is also a place to help others.

Reply to
Snit

Funny thing is, we can't just turn off the porch light and hope that the neighbors won't throw their garbage over the fence.

What happens in Ukraine affects the entire world. If they don't export grain and cooking oil, that ripples out through the global economy, of which we're a part.

It's a small world after all.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Even some quite nice parts of the U.S.

Although I doubt the average serial killer would be interest in Kinsey.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Evidence, please. Not conjecture.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Taxis are public service, your car is not. No matter how much you rant.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

"Safe and effective" was conjecture. "Stops the spread" was conjecture.

C'mon man, follow the science.

Reply to
T'yon Williams

When I commuted to the university the first semester I had rides to and fro from two guys that both flunked out. I ended up hitch hiking the whole second semester. This was a long time ago and I had no trouble getting rides or problems with the drivers.

Interesting side note was getting married in Cleveland we honeymooned in Atlantic city. Driving there one of my wife's friend's boy friend who had attended our wedding was hitch hiking back to Annapolis where he was a naval cadet and we took him as far as we could.

None of these things would happen today.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Céline Figard (French pronunciation: ​[selin fiɡaʁ]; 23 May 1976[2] – 19 December 1995) was a French woman who went missing and was murdered during a visit to the United Kingdom in December 1995. She accepted a lift from a lorry driver at the Chieveley services on the M4 in Chieveley, Berkshire, on 19 December, but never arrived at her destination. Following an appeal for information on her whereabouts and police enquiries, her body was discovered on 29 December, at a lay-by on the A449 in Hawford, Worcestershire. A post-mortem examination determined she had been strangled and bludgeoned to death.

Police probe hitchhiker murder - Manchester Evening News Manchester Evening News

Carlos E.R.

I might.

Reply to
John Larkin

My impression has been that in some places, eastern Europe maybe, Greece maybe, public transport refers to carriers of many people, and in the USA the term used is public transportation and it refers to any carrier open to the public.

If Spain and the USA are more like each other, that's fine with me.

I tried to discuss this once on TRip Advisor but got nowhere.

Reply to
micky

Last week I picked up a hitchhiker at the base of Sugar Bowl Road and drove him and his ski gear up to the lifts. He hitchhikes uphill and skis cross-country downhill when he goes skiing. I met him later on a run and offered him a ride back, but he preferred to ski back to the highway, which I didn't know was possible.

Reply to
John Larkin

What radius do you use to define OUR?

Reply to
John Larkin

The last time I looked there were 50 states in the US so it's hard do define a radius, particularly with outliers like Hawaii.

Reply to
rbowman