OT Pendant help signalers?

Are these things worth the $25 or so a month? Anyone have or tried one? Good assistance? I'm worrying about my vision so I might have a hard time calling 911 or maybe too helpless to call. At 83 living alone who knows what's next?
TIA

Ask around your area - services might vary from continent to continent ; country to country; state to state; county to county ; city to city ... .. get my drift ? Contact your local senior resource service - they will be able to give you some pertinent information. You might find that there is a free service for your area. .. asking the nice folks here - who are from around the whole wide world of web home-repairers .. might generate some attention and heated discussion but a simple phone call will likely generate actual useful information. Good luck. John T.
On 9/10/2018 2:47 PM, KenK wrote:

I think about these things too and having to pay for things that we did not feel we needed before and fixed income making it worse. These devices can be useful to seniors and one was even used to call police when the woman heard a thief in the house.
They carted off an elderly neighbor living alone to assisted living after she fell and it was not discovered for 2 days. Her son who lives 200 miles away had tried to get her into assisted living but she refused. With that incident, you can't refuse.
I don't live alone and my Tracfone only costs about 8 dollars a month. I think they sell cell phones with big keyboards and maybe even a 911 button. $25/month may be pricey unless you need a receiver in the house with poor cell phone reception but then you need a land line too.
On 9/11/2018 1:49 PM, Frank wrote:

A friend's mother had one and she liked the security of having it. So did her daughter. She did set it off a couple of times and got a response quickly.
Cell phone helps if you have it on you at all times. Mine is on my belt. I always have it working with power tools in the garage.
If I find myself alone one day, I'll probably text my kids once a day "I'm still alive" or something.

All good points - I hope Ken K phones his local senior service to get their professional help, pertinent to his area. The morning & night check-in with a relative or neighbour can be useful in more ways than personal safety .. .. if two seniors check-in on each other they get some news and conversation also. John T.
On 09/11/2018 01:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

My grandmother had to work the crossword puzzle in the paper, delivered 6 days a week. A neighbor would know something is wrong if the paper was still outside a couple of hours after delivery.
--
105 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Ken, if I were 83 and living alone, I would most definitely subscibe to one of these services and I wouldn't daly in doing so. I'd get eiher a pendant or wristband model. I'd also probably get the module that monitors falls.
I'm 73 and do not live alone at this point. However, I did have a stroke last February and if my spouse hadn't been here there is no doubt I would have suffered significant permanent damage. I was very lucky
Please take care of yourself.

Problem is choosing one. I've looked at several review lists and the ones I am interested in are much the same.

On Sat 15 Sep 2018 11:25:13a, KenK told us...

Well, don't know exactly what you're looking at and many are much the same, as ou said. However, if I were buying one, I would want one that is waterproof, works anywhere, and can also be had with a "fall" module.
Keep us posted on your choice when you find one. I'd be interested in knowing.