Slightly ot - New Zealand

I'm off to NZ next month for a while... With the packers coming next week I can't decide whether to take the washing machine or not... Does anyone know if the tap connector the same or if I can get an adapter? I've tried asking my contacts out there but get blank response. (maybe I should have called it a laundry tub and not washing machine)!! Also do they have bayonet or screw cap light fittings ?

TIA Tim

Reply to
Tim

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 04:37:42 -0800 (PST),it is alleged that Tim spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

I'm fairly certain they use BC lamp caps, no clue on the washing machine connections.

Reply to
Chip

Don't know for sure - but I'd be surprised if it was anything different from

3/4" BSP - that seems to be fairly universal. If the worth comes to the worst, and the tap end *is* different, you may have to buy NZ hoses and cut them in half and join them to half of your existing hoses (with a bit of fluted metal pipe and a couple if Jubilee clips).

I was there a couple of months ago, and seem to remember that most of the light bulbs I saw were ES type rather than bayonet.

The voltage is near enough the same as UK, but I presume you are aware that they use Australian style (unfused) 3-pin plugs with weedy little angled pins - so you'll either need to change the plugs on all your electrical appliances, or use adapters.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Why not loo up a NZ plumbers shop or browse their washing machines sites?

Reply to
George

George

Is it really cost-effective to lug a washing machine right round the world, versus the cost of buying a new one (and maybe less the second-hand value of your old one)?

David

Reply to
Lobster

They send fish from scottish waters to china to process it and send it back here to sell. That's cost effective apparently.

Reply to
mogga

In message , Tim writes

It won't work

They use holes, not electrons ...

Reply to
geoff

You're taking all the light bulbs, aren't you?

Reply to
Onetap

So the electricity is slower...

Reply to
Bob Eager

If it's a front loader then yes as they carry a very high premium in the Antipodes.

Australians and New Zealanders seem to have some strange obsession with top loading washing machines. Ten to fifteen years ago you wouldn't have even seen a single front loader in a white goods store.

Reply to
Matt

I suppose the answer to that is...

A top loader wont shed any water onto the floor when the boot sealed decides to fracture. ;-)

Same as the yanks light switches,you walk into the room and you don't have to raise your arm to switch the lights on. ;-)

Reply to
George

The message from Matt contains these words:

Top loaders are simple and tend to be long-lasting.

However, even in the US front loaders -- albeit very large -- are appearing even in the box shifter stores in vast numbers.

Reply to
Appin

And bulk mail by pallet from UK to Russia so it can be posted back to the UK.

Reply to
PM

You do know that electricity flows the opposite way in the Southern hemisphere don't you, just like water going down the plughole the opposite way?

Reply to
rrh

Does that mean that all the metal bits are live?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Where did you think all our earth leakage ended up?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well yes.... and no... I seem to remember from my last visit that the

40watt pearl light bulb is king !! very few places had CFLs and they expensive. Thought I'd drop a box in the container. Got to fill it somehow, its a fixed price..... Hence the washing machine. Think I'll bung one in still packaged.
Reply to
Tim

Best check and see if electric kettles have made it over there or not while you're at it. Many countries seem to have a complete blind spot when it comes to this wonderful invention. I know someone who used to regularly take electric kettles over to her friends in Sweden.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

A few years ago, I bought a very nice electric kettle for my mother. It was made in New Zealand.

Reply to
S Viemeister