Capping a 3/4" Washing connection

Need to cap a 3/4" washing machine connection, not using the connector any more and the tap won't completely turn off. Shops are telling me to either change the tap or remove the tap and cap the 15mm pipe. I ain't no plumber and I don't want to start now, all I want is a sealed end to screw on where the hose used to be - anyone know where I can get such a widget?

Reply to
Brian Sheldon

for brass 3/4 bsp cap.

Or go to a good plumbers supply.

I use city plumbing.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Sheldon

If still got the hose, find a suitable coin to fit inside the screw on bit, and fit under the washer. If it works, hack off the spare bit of hose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I have managed to do this by using the plastic threaded part of a washing machine hose with a two pence piece stuffed inside and a suitably sized rubber washer..

sPoNiX

Reply to
S P O N I X

You can either use the end off an old wash machine hose or get the end from B&Q. Then place a large blanking washer in the end and tighten it onto the outlet. Also good for temp stopping radiator valves when rads are removed for decorating/flushing.

Reply to
BoomFondle

Ah. Tip saved for later use. Saves trying to find an official decorator's cap for some obscure make of TRV, or alternatively finding a room full of radiator water when painting in winter.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Any decent plumbers merchant should hold galvanised iron 3/4" BSP cap ends - failing them go to your nearest PumbCenter (hate the us spelling) or Pipeline Centre.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Here, here! And meter instead of metre and so on. In Canada where we are 'supposed' to be using real English, we have "Canadian Tire"! But take heart; the language is always changing, at least it has during the portion of my 70 years when I've been at all cognizant of language or the written word. Prithee you, what say William Shakespeare would make of "Cyber", "Bytes", "Digital" and "Microwave" and the like of that speech. It all adds color (Oops, sorry' colour!) to English as one of the most adaptable, colourful (got it right this time?) and flexible of tongues? Terry. PS. So flexible one cannot depend on 'spellers' either. Mine rejects "Winston" and "Churchill" let alone accepting "cheque" instead of "check", "yew" instead of "you" etc. etc.

Reply to
Terry

Terry,

After ranting about English usage in another group I was (correctly as it happens!) taken to task over the use of 'here here' which I understood originated from Members of Parliament using it meaning 'I (here) agree' but a little research shows it actually was initially used in Parliament meaning 'let him be heard' ie hear hear.

Ah well . . .

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The 'here here' spelling is some bizarre Net-originated error; no-one who's ever heard Parliamentary proceedings (or school debating societies imitating same) can ever have conceived it as meaning anything other than "I like what I'm hearing", "let's hear more of that", "this is what we've been crying out to hear", and so on. I don't think there's anything remotely "initial" about its use - it continues to be used in that way in the yaboo chamber (and doubtless also in Another Place, as they so quaintly say).

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Stefek,

The initial usage was actually 'hear him, hear him' when a member was being cried down according to Hansard.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

God help us - have the Americans given up using the letter 'L' then?

David :-)

Reply to
Lobster