Temporary dishwasher

I want to test an old dishwasher before I install it. Rather than having something blocking up the kitchen, there's a sink and plenty of space in the garage I can use. Assuming the machine can cope with a 1m rise, I should be able to drain into the sink, but I'd need to arrange the water supply.

I know there are self-cutting taps, like this:

they're quite a bodge, and I don't want to install an unsightly tap just for half a dozen test runs.

I was wondering... the cold tap (which is about 30 years old) has four fins sticking out about 8mm, and no thread. We already have a 'Hozelock' connector for it for fitting a garden hose (leaks like anything, but I don't care in this application). Might there be some way to bodge this connector onto a supply hose? I have neither the dishwasher nor the tap adaptor available to check at the moment.

I could mount the Hozelock connector on a new washing machine feed hose by chopping off one 3/4" BSP connector. Hozelock hoses are 12.5mm - what size are washing machine hoses? Hozelock have discontinued the tap connector, so I don't really want to break it.

Would the dishwasher mind about the low pressure (put another way, how good a test would it be with this arrangement)? There's also an outside tap - can't remember if it has a screw thread, but it would need at least a 10m hose run (so we're back to Hozelock again).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

We temporarily ran a dishwasher with the supply hose screwed onto the standard thread of an outside tap - it was a perfect match. Wouldn't it sometimes be useful to have a 'outside' tap on the pipework in the garage, screwed to the wall? It would certainly be if more use in the future than a dishwasher valve.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
martin_pentreath

I test them by moving the programme dial forward ( if it has one ) to skip the fill phase and throwing a bucket or two of water in. You might find it will work without having to skip the fill phase.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I've done this using the garden hose as the supply, fitting a hozelock connector to the end, plugging a hozelock threaded tap connector into that and then using a double ended threaded connector to screw into that and the end of the dishwasher hose. All stuff that I had in the odds and ends box and no cutting of hoses (the dishwasher's hose was a built in one, not one that could simply be unscrewed from the back of the machine).

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ah, but how do I know there isn't a problem with the fill valve or inlet pipe? I want to test the dishwasher to check it's OK before messing up the kitchen fitting it in.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Well I could just run it off the outside tap (though thinking about it the hose attachment doesn't have a screw so maybe it isn't threaded). But that would mean having the dishwasher in the rain!

That's an idea. Trouble is the garage has the old kitchen in it, and the pipes are fitted below counter level. It'd mean cutting a hole in the sink, or a long pipe run from elsewhere. A bit of a faff and not terribly pretty (yes I know it's a garage, but...)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

>>> But they're quite a bodge, and I don't want to install an unsightly tap just

Same here with washing machines too - exept i just screwed a 3/4" hoselock connector (Standard connector usually screwed to a tap) directly to the back of the machine, then plugged the hose into the back of the machine.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

They use surprisingly little water per wash. If you are going to watch over it during testing, just use a large (lower) container and empty it each time it pumps water out. Water the garden with virtually clean water if you're running it empty. I ran a hose over from our outside tap when testing a half rebuilt DW just inside the garage door, and fixed a few cm of copper pipe inside the end of the hose (jubilee clip around it), with an old appliace tap on the end.

Reply to
Part timer