Dishwasher - squeaky door

Hi,

I have a fairly new KitchenAid dishwasher and the door developed a bad squeak all of a sudden. This morning I opened the door to finish loading and run the dishwasher and there was no squeak. I started the dishwasher then left for work. I opened the dishwasher door this evening, and there is now a horrible squeak.

I did have a contractor and his workers here today doing lots of sanding on the ceilings, which produced a LOT of fine, white, powdery dust. Could this have affected the dishwasher door? I tried using compressed air on the hinges, but that didn't seem to help.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Thanks in advance for your opinions/suggestions.

Reply to
Nightstar

If the DW was closed, I doubt the dust got in there. How new is fairly new? If it is less than a year, it is under warranty so the dealer should be able to fix it for you. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If the door has curved pieces near the bottom which move through slots in the machine frame, try spritzing a little silicone spray through those openings. Silicone is benign enough to not damage anything else it lands on back there.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Thanks for your suggestion. I take it, silicone spray is different than WD-40?

Reply to
Nightstar

Nightstar wrote: > Thanks for your suggestion. I take it, silicone spray is different than > WD-40?

Yep, and it doesn't smell as much either. Silicone is pretty inert stuff compared to most other lubricants (except maybe for spit, and that dries up pretty fast.) Should be available at any hardware store.

Good to have around for things which need a little added slipperiness, like a sliding window which is a little too tight.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
nospambob

Thanks for the tip. Does it cause problems on wood that is going to be painted?

Reply to
Nightstar

Ok, I've tried the silicone spray on the door, both sides, and no change in the squeak. This is really strange because, like I said, it was fine in the morning and when I came home there was the squeak.

Is it difficult to remove a dishwasher door? And if I did, what would I look for to fix this problem?

Thanks, all!

PS. It's a KitchenAid, model # KUD101ILWH0

Reply to
Nightstar