Does such a plumbing part exist?

I want to fit a garden tap for my Mother. Just about the only place I can plumb into is the washing machine feed. The copper pipe disappears straight into the wall so I can't tee into the copper.

Is there such a beast that has a male washing machine connector at one end, female at the other and something like a 15mm copper connector that I can take off to the garden tap? Just in case I'm not making sense, remove the washing machine hose and fit a tee piece. Replace the hose and have a feed to the tap.

Regards

Reply to
Periproct

Why not remove the WM tap from the pipe, add a short length of pipe with a tee piece, refit the tap to the end of the extended pipe and take the feed to the outside tap off the tee.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Sometimes I feel so dumb. :-) Thanks for that advice.

It is a compression fitting on there at the moment with very little exposed

15mm pipe to play with. I guess hacksaw carefully through the olive and open it up with a screwdriver. Then a bit of Boss White to make sure.
Reply to
Periproct

In message , Periproct writes

Just undo the compression fitting and replace with a compression T-piece leaving the nut and olive in place

Take 5 minutes out just to think it through properly

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Periproct" saying something like:

Or re-use the existing olive and nut, just wrap some ptfe tape around the olive. I only suggest this to avoid stressing a stub of pipe, but it should work perfectly well, with one proviso - the protruding stub of copper after the olive should be short enough to allow the olive/ptfe to seat and seal properly into the leg of the new T. Sometimes older fittings are quite deep and the protruding copper is too long, needing a trim with a junior hacksaw.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Sounds a bit drastic. Normally catheters have much smaller taps fitted.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

:-) I think at her age my Mum might appreciate having a tap fitted.

Reply to
Periproct

Boss white - much better.

Reply to
1501

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember 1501 saying something like:

Oh yes, no problem on new fits. I tend to use the tape if it's an old olive being re-used.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Note that the sealing surfaces of a compression fitting should have absolutely nothing on them. I sometimes use one turn of PTFE as a lubricant on the thread, but being careful to keep it out of the sealing surfaces. (Never use anything on a gas compression fitting, because it's impossible to prove you haven't got in on the sealing surfaces.)

If the sealing surface has been damaged (e.g. by a sealant having been applied in the past), and it's not replaceable, then you may have to continue using a sealant for ever more.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

No skin off my nose. I do what I've found works, and damn the theory.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You've made a home-made compression-washer joint. It's a joint, not a bad sort either, but it's not a metal-to-metal compression joint any more.

Personally I wouldn't do this. Not because switching away from metal- to-metal is so bad (it's only domestic plumbing, so pressures, temperatures and hazards are low) but because PTFE has cold flow behaviour under strain. Compared to elastomers, it's a poor choice of sealing washer. It works for threads because the surface is wide and the gap is thin. It's much less good over olives because the sealing area is narrower and mostly thicker. It'll seal, but it won't last as long as a metal-metal joint.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley saying something like:

Thousands of joints, no leaks. Thanks for the lecture, anyway.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon