Does nitrile 2 part rubber exist

I'm very aware 2-part RTV silicone rubber exists at various moduli, but need something that is more oil resistant and can be moulded into a gasket of sorts.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Fredxx

Frankly no. I think nitrile needs fairly sophisticated kit to make - isn't it moulded and vulcanised like tyres are made?

There are various 'liquid gaskets' products that might be worth a look

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks, I was rapidly coming to that conclusion.

Reply to
Fredxx

No idea on the 2-part, but I found that ordinary rubber washers don't like oil and petrol (why oh why are petrol 'cans' supplied without a washer twixt spout and can?). I got some Viton sheet from ebay and that's been OK.

Reply to
PeterC

Nitrile is normally the default for O rings or any washers exposed to hydrocarbons (i.e. oil, petrol, diesel, white spirit, etc). Viton is even more chemical-resistant but at a price.

Cheap petrol cans come with simple moulded spouts that usually seal OK without a washer.

Reply to
newshound

Next door's had the cheap one and it leaked when pouring. Mine has a proper 'top' for the spout and the fuel pisses out of that! I made a Viton washer and it's OK now. Leaking petrol is bad enough when doing a car - for a hot mower, where the engine and tank are rather close together...!

Reply to
PeterC

I was hoping to make a gasket from a liquid or gloop and allow to settle and harden.

I see there are some liquid gaskets of unknown providence but haven't found any known materials that are resistant to mineral oils and can flow into a mould.

Reply to
Fredxx

paper pulp?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't feel that is going to offer a very good seal.

Reply to
Fredxx

provenance

but haven't

The Natural Philosopher

Is it petrol resistant?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

There seems to be two types of PU rubber.

In general: Polyester type polyurethane is more resistant to oils, solvents, and weak acids/bases. And polyether type polyurethane is more resistant to water exposure.

I would say NT's link is for the latter as it doesn't mention resistance to oils and fuels.

Reply to
Fredxx

it's not ideal in many respects, but works well enough on engines

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Most of the automotive ones are silicone, and although compatibility charts show it as incompatible with mineral oil, it works fine when present as a thin layer in a joint face, because so little surface area is exposed. Whether you can get these usually somewhat gelatinous products to flow into a mould very much depends on the shape of the mould.

Reply to
newshound