Wahing Machine Internal Leak

My wife and I own an older Kenmore "Heavy Duty" (that's what the label says) washing machine. Water is leaking into the tub (whatever you call the place where you put the clothes) and seems to be coming from this flat plastic piece which controls the water flow into the tub (the part which makes the water flow flat). The leak is completely internal; water is not leaking outside of the washer. Since the tub was made for holding water, it just pools up. I then have to drain it by setting it to the draining part of the cycle for a few seconds. As I'm sure you can guess, this is getting old quick.

Today I decided to remove the four screws on the control panel and pull it off. But that only revealed all of the wiring; the leak was still underneath the metal outside covering of the washer. So, I don't even know how to get to the leak. I am assuming that the hose directly above this is leaking and merely flowing over this plastic piece, but I can't be sure. I'm usually very good with my hands, but I have never touched a washing machine (so I am reluctant to just jump in on this without advice). Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is this something where it would be much easier to call a repairman? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
AndrewSAshby

Could be the water valve is leaking by. It can be replaced, possibly rebuilt. One way to stop the leak is to turnoff the water tot he washer when you are done. That is considered good practice anyway. Check

for more information.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
JIMMIE

I agree with Edwin, Had the same problem with an older Kenmore(1970s) other than the leak the machine works fine but I could not find a replacement valve. The leak is pretty slow so the solution was turing off the water when not in use. This worked for a while but the valves on the water connection were as old and worn as the soleniod valve in the machine and soon began to leak too. Solution was to replace these with lever type ball valves. The new valves are much easier for my wife and daughter to use. Just waiting for the machine to die now. As it is in a vaction home it may last for years.

Reply to
JIMMIE

Don't jump in unless you're sure the agitator won't go on.

No. I"m sure you can do this yourself. Jimmie suggests a big problem, of not being able to find the part, but if the repairman can find it you can too. (I'm not into rebuilding htis part, but otoh, sometimes they stick open because there are little stones in the water supply that get caught in the valve. This is caused usually when there is a leak in a water main, and some soil etc. gets in the main during the repair. If you know this has happened, or you see dirt in the water, I guess it would be good to turn on the tub, or even a sink, for a while to flush the system bfeore turning on a washing machine. But usually people don't know.

(BTW, I have a sock rubberbanded around my tub faucet, so the water won't make noise when I'm watching TV. The same sock has been there for at least 5 years, maybe 15. I noticed recently that I can feel a bunch of pebbles in the toe of the sock!!)

Despite the problem Jimmie had, I'm pretty sure you can find a replacement valve set (hot and cold). If it is Kenmore by Whirlpool, they tend to use the same parts for literally decades on end.

If Sears doesn't have the part, you could perhaps take the part to Whirlpool parts store, and the owner might know a model it is used in (probably of the same age) or you might be able to identify it from their picture book.

I'm not looking at your washer, but I would expect that, almost any double valve from most or all brands will do if it will mount inside the machine. To the best of my knowlege, they will all fit physically, they all mount just inside the cabinet where you see the hose connections sticking out the back, they all have approximately the same spaciing between hot and cold, they ALL use standard garden hose male connections for input and I forget but one of two or three, or maybe only one, type of connections for output. They all mount with a screw from the outsdie of the washer into the frame of the vavle, and if the mounting holes don't match you can use new holes.

And they all have valves solenoids that run on 110 VAC. If the 2 connectors that ares on the current vavle won't fit on the new valve, you can make your own connectors with some blank female spade connectors, or whatever fits the new valve.

If you're not in a hurry. you may see a Kenmore or Whirlpool machine on the side of the road, waiting for the bulk trash guy. You can probably get a valve out of that. (Test it before installation. It might be bad, but I don't think too many machines are thrown away because of this valve.)

BTW, I had a real triumph tonight in terms of finding good things in the trash. I found an electric wheelchair. Very clean. Works fine. Don't know but I think it must be 2000 dollars new and it works well so maybe 1000 dollars s is. I'm looking to give it away within the next couple days if anyone has some suggestions. I don't want it sitting at Goodwill waiting for someone to buy it, when I think there are ways to find someone, possibly a poor person but one not covered by Medical Assistance, whatever that is.

It's too heavy to get in my friend's truck, and definitely too heavy for my LeBaron.

BTW, there was another piece of medical equipment thrown out at the same time, and I think that means the owner died. And I think I knew him a tiny bit, for the last 4 years or so.. I would see him, often with 2 friends (both in wheelchairs iirc) sitting outside enjoying the fresh air. I'd wave if I thought he might see me, he'd sometimes see me and wave back, but usually they seemed busy with each other, and when he was alone, I was always in my car on my way, often to some place I had to be on time, and I figured I'd catch him the next time.

Reply to
mm

I'd bet there are plenty of people that can use it. Contact your local hospital or church charity, or a supplier of medical equipment and he may know of someone that cannot afford to buy one. Even though they sell them, they are often willing to assist a person in need.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Those are very good ideas. I was wrong about 2000. It was too dark last night to get the brand, and today it was covered for the predicted rain, but it seems like retail for these things is between

6000 and 16000 dollars, and mine was probably closer to 16000. Which makes it by far the most expensive thing I've gotten out of the trash. (and I've gotten lots of good stuff)

Tomorrow is Monday. I'll be able to start calling places to find one that knows someone who can use it. I was in a hurry last night because rain was predicted and I have no room in my house, nor a very good way to get it in even if I made room. Today I thought about using a lot of 2x4'x and t-111, all of which I happen to have at the moment, and even as heavy as it is, I think I could do it. But instead I drove it up to the cement slab in front of the kitchen/house and covered it with a tarp.

I would really like to try driving it more before they take it away. Maybe I will. I hope I don'pt end up like George Costanza.

Reply to
mm