Is $3,000 right for floating sheetrock?

As a result of Hurricane Katrina, I've installed new sheetrock in "most" of the house, including ceilings. In half of the house, though, the rock is cut (and now replaced) at the 4-foot level around the permiter of the rooms. In total, I suppose I installed about 100+ sheets of 4X8.

The floater came yesterday and said he'd tape and mud everything (and blow in the ceilings) for $2,500 in labor and $500 in materials. My house is about 1,600 sq feet and I'm just wondering how much of his price is "hurricane-driven" and how much is true to the trade.

If any of you have had recent experience with this particular type of service - either receiving or providing - I'd apprecite hearing from you...

Thanks.

Reply to
BiloxiBoy

blowing in the ceiling? not that popcorn stuff, yuck. I wouldn't pay extra for that.

Reply to
Chub

If you're in hurrican hit territory all bets are off. The same as anywhere else, a contractor will charge what the market will bear. Personally, I'm surprised that they're not charging more considering the demand.

RicodJour

Grumbling about the price is a bit foolish considering where you are. Unless of course you want to wait for the price to go up.

Reply to
SQLit

i'm from the north where prices are higher, but we pay around a dollar a square foot of drywall, hung, taped, and primed. last time i hired a hanger, he charged about .25 cents an square foot. so considering where you are, it sounds reasonable.

Reply to
marson

Reply to
Marvel

When we built our house just over two years ago, we hung the drywall ourselves and hired a crew to tape it. We supplied the tape and mud and a bag of Duroc 90 and the charge was for the labour only: $0.30 per square foot for walls and ceilings that would be painted; $0.20 for ceilngs that would be texture sprayed (these are Canadian prices, so take about 18% off)

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Thanks, marson. I appreciate the input...

Reply to
BiloxiBoy

So, at the high end - $10/sheet - that would work out for me to a little over $1,000 in the best of worlds. As you pointed out, the hurricane side of that has apparently more than doubled the price. WOW!!!

Reply to
BiloxiBoy

To each his own... I kinda like that look. Not yuckky... :)

Reply to
BiloxiBoy

Whose high end? It's a good bit more than $10 around here.

RicodJour

This is Turtle

I have a friend of mine thjat his son lives in New Orleans and got bid to sheet rock the whole house. The sheet rock, mud, what every needed would cost $1,000 and then the bidding company want $9,000.00 to do the job and supply material.

What was that price of your again ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Your reply is exactly why I asked this question. This is the kind of input that helps put things into perspective. Thanks - many of these replies are eye-openers, no doubt...

Reply to
BiloxiBoy

yeah, it's not like a sheetrocker is going to be out of a job down there if he doesn't snag your job. and don't forget, those guys don't make enough money even at double to retire to luxury condos in florida. can't fault 'em for makin a living.

Reply to
marson

The few companies that have employees on hand to do the work will probably enjoy the boon for a while. Of course, the employees they have might start getting more money because the labor market is so small. Free enterprise :o)

Reply to
Norminn