fixing sheetrock

I am having the interior of my house painted. The painters seem to be good and they are doing minor sheetrock repairs that look ok. I am a bit concerned about some major sheetrock stuff that they say they can handle but I am wondering if I should call in a sheetrock pro. There are s couple of outside wall corners (where 2 walls meet) where you can see the edge of the tape almost the whole length of the corner one inch from the corner I assume the tape let go or shrunk. The tape does not seem to be lifting. They seem to want to just blend it in. I am wondering if the tape should be pulled and replaced.

In defense of the painters approach, the sheetrock work was done by a "pro" when the house was built new and there are lots of tapes that have let go. In some cases the inside corners were (by design) not 90 degrees and they used a plastic tape made for corners and it seems like the plastic was either too strong and pulled away from the wall or not enuf compound was used to hold it down.

Reply to
Art

Why is there tape there to begin with? Are you sure it's tape? Outside corners should have a metal angle bead that is nailed then covered with mud. If it's the edge of that which you;re seeing, then just mud should be fine. If you have no bead, then that'a a problem.

Reply to
trader4

There is a metal bead there. I thought tape was put over the edge of the bead. My mistake. I've never done sheetrock so I don't know much about it except for watching a guy while the house was being built.

What about inside corners. If edges are loose should the tape be removed and replaced or is sticking them down with more mud ok. The house is about

10 years old. Most of the sheetrock issues took place during year 2 and have been stable ever since. Mostly inside corners many of which aren't 90 degrees, and were done with a plastic corner shaped material instead of tape.
Reply to
Art

Two possibilities: tape on corner beads are in common use and it could be one of those--basically a metal corner bead with integral tape that is mudded on to the outside corner, OR the taper could have taped over the metal corner bead. This is often done to prevent prevent cracking on transition between sheetrock and metal corner bead. I think you should just let the painters fix it.

Reply to
marson

If tape is pulling from the walls, then it needs to be cut out and re taped--I've never had success trying to stick down tape that has pulled up. A good painter should be able to handle this.

Reply to
marson

The corner bead should be nailed where it's lifting and patched. Only If it's really badly warped and kinked should you bother replacing it. Any tape that's peeling should be cut out and patched, if minor, or re-taped if major.

This is common wall repair that painters should be able to handle. Painters are much more conscientious about the final appearance than most drywall companies.

Reply to
TakenEvent

If it's lifting, there was insufficient mud underneath. Either not enough was applied, or whoever ran the knife pressed down too hard, squeezing the mud out. Cut out the blisters and retape, taking a bit more care with the mud.

Reply to
Father Haskell

wrote Why is there tape there to begin with? Are you sure it's tape? Outside corners should have a metal angle bead that is nailed then covered with mud. If it's the edge of that which you;re seeing, then just mud should be fine. If you have no bead, then that'a a problem.

He is absolutely right.

Kate

Reply to
Kate