Hardwood Floor, Subfloor

I have a 15x15 room that needs new hardwoood flooring. The old flooring is removed and the subfloor is 1x4s. They are 60 years old and shrunk a bit but generally in good shape. (I will have to replace one or two that were destroyed when the oak floor was removed.

My question, should I attach each subfloor board at each joist? I know with plywood it's a good idea to install extra fasteners to make sure it's stable, but what about plank subfloors?

Thanks, Bernie

Reply to
Bernie

Bernie,yes u do nail or screw your subfloor boards at each joist. Because your housei s that old the 1x4 may be a full 1" thick, so there would be no reason to put any other blocking in inless u feel that its needed. Bob

Reply to
builderb

Bob,

Simple enought to use a framing nailer and put a nail in each one?

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Bernie,I would screw the subfloor down,that way would dont have to worry about the subfloor making any noise later.I just dont like useing nails on a floor they tend to back out. Bob

Reply to
builderb

Ordinary nails might back out, but consider using ring shank nails with a nail gun. One compelling reason is that older houses often have rather hard joists and in my experience a fair number of screws tend to break off with a fast impact driver, and using a drill/driver is slow and tedious. Make the best choice to suit your situation. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Well Gentlemen,

You have been way to helpfull, so I will have to take advantage of you, hahahaha.

As long as we are talking fasteners, I'm using a 16g nailer for the face nailing. How long of nails do I need? Normal logic says; 3/4" material, then

3xs that for fastener length. But in this case, the sub floor is only 1" at best. How long do you recommond.

Also, I have a narrow crown stapler also available. I wasn't planning on using it because of the larger hole to fill. Which do you recommend.

Thanks for all your help!

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt