Hardwood Floor

I am installing 3/4 inch oak hardwood in a hallway 20 ft long and 4 1/2 ft wide. I am installing it the "long way" on a 5/8 inch plywood subfloor. My problem is that the 12 inch floor joists change directions so that the hardwood will be parallel with the joists for the last 7 feet of the hallway. The joists are on 16 inch centers and I thought about going under the floor and installing blocks between the joists, but the central heat ductwork is in the way. The only way I can put blocks in is to cut into the subfloor and pull enough of it up to put the blocks in from the top. I would also have to attach blocks to the existing joists to have something to nail to when replacing the subfloor. Is this all necessary, or can I just lay the hardwood on the floor the way it is for that short distance. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Mike

it will probably look silly if you switch in mid-hallway. if it were me, i'd either switch to doing it all cross wise, or lay it diagonally, so it would be the same the entire length.

Reply to
charlie

I do not intend on changing the direction of the hardwood in mid hallway. I will only go the "long way". It is only the joists that change directions. My question is only will it be a problem going the same directions as the joists for a distance of 7 ft.

Reply to
Mike

There should be no problem.

Reply to
dadiOH

Ducts can be dis-assembled and re-assembled.

Reply to
Bob F

I don't like running strip flooring parallel to the joists, particularly in high traffic areas with a thin subfloor. I wouldn't seriously consider running it parallel on anything less than 3/4" sheathing with joists 16" OC, and I'd still be thinking of maybe laminating 1/4" plywood depending on what's going on with the adjoining flooring.

You would know you had made the wrong decision when the floor gaps indicate the location of the parallel floor joist, indicating a high spot. This occurs over the joist. The floor gaps between the joists would have less of a gap indicating a dip in the floor.

You may also consider laying the floor diagonally as already mentioned, or a herringbone pattern. Then again, you might not be bothered by gaps in the floor and/or you're not planning on being there for long, so it's your call! ;)

RicodJour