(OT) Increased Speed Limits on Highways

On 10/7/2016 6:17 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

The next day there will be instructions to disable it on the internet. Not going to happen.
On 10/6/2016 8:27 PM, bob haller wrote:

Given proper conditions, I just like to drive fast. Nothing to do with time and don't care about fuel mileage enough to slow down. Safety is a concern though. I don't weave in traffic or foul weather.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 8:42:25 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why there are race tracks.
If your speeding only took you out, no problemo.
But it often takes out other innocent folks.
Andy
On 10/7/2016 5:26 PM, Andy wrote:

Race tracks are fun for a lap or two. Driving fast under proper conditions does not cause accident. Differential of speeds will even at speeds below the limit. If the speed limit is 45 and one idiot drives at 30, he is a danger. As is the guy driving at 65. Go with the flow for maximum safety.
On 10/07/2016 03:26 PM, Andy wrote:

I worry about soccer moms with cellphones more than speeders. They're distracted and they're Democrats.
On 10/6/2016 10:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

If you say that in public you may get lynched. I have no problem at 70 to 75 depending on conditions. There is one stretch that I often do 90 to 100 for a short distance.

Best to get off the highway or at least stick to the right..

I often go through Worcester MA where the speed limit is 50. If you cannot drive at 70, you may get run over.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 1:32:27 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Same for 91 near Springfield.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

One of my favorite songs of all time is " I can't drive 55 " by Sammy Hagar!
On 10/06/2016 08:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Stay out of Montana or you'll be a hood ornament on a F350.

Or Florida We have 60mph on 2 lane blacktops and everyone does 70-75. The interstates is 70 and little old ladies will give you the finger for doing less than 80.
[snip]

It's like that on I20 here. They were already dong 80 before the speed limit went to 75.
I don't find the speed to be as big a problem as the increasing number of big trucks (I20 is a common route for Mexican trucks going east). It's not a good feeling, going 75 and not able to see much because there's multiple trucks on 3 sides.
--
79 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/07/2016 05:02 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

When we didn't have a daytime speed limit traffic tended to stabilize around 90.
On 10/7/2016 9:45 AM, rbowman wrote:

Perfectly safe on the interstates with light traffic.
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 7:02:52 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Actually, no.
That's a myth.
Given any set of conditions (width of highway, hills, curves, obstructions, visibility, etc.) 85% of drivers will automatically choose a safe speed. Speed limit signs have been proven to have no effect except where enforcement is very heavy.
Slow drivers are not a hazard IF they stay in the slow lane - but they don't. Jerks.
TimR posted for all of us...

+1
--
Tekkie

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 6:02:52 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You are so right. :-)
Andy
Maybe what we need is a separate lane with no speed limit.
It would have high walls on each side to protect the law abiding good drivers.
Let those drivers lower the gene pool and that would benefit society.
On 10/07/2016 06:02 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Even when the posted limit is as fast as you'd go if there was no limit.

--
79 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/06/2016 02:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

My state set the the speed at 60 MPH for trucks and 70 MPH for cars. The police start writing tickets at 5 over. Driving the expressway has become a major PITA!
On 10/07/2016 05:26 AM, HeyBob wrote:

Ohio? The Ohio Turnpike really sucked if you were driving a truck. The cops saw you as a moving piggy bank to be emptied. I even managed to get busted in a car in Findlay. Admittedly I was doing 90 in a 45 but it was 2 in the morning and everyone was asleep. Conveniently, the cop had one of those old credit card machines in the back seat and took American Express.