OT: How to count a heart rate

Why have I never noticed this before? I accidentally heard my cat's heartbeat, and realised it was in pairs. So I thought, do you count all of them singly, or the number of pairs? Wikipedia suggests it's pairs, judging by the 72bpm heart rate sound on this page which is actually 144bpm:

Maybe when you take a pulse you only feel one of each pair (not that I've ever been able to find my or anyone else's pulse, I've always listened with my ear).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There are 2 valves hence they describe the sound as Lub-dub, one valve opens to push blood to wherever and the other closes. I suspect the pulse is the pushing part as the blood surges around the body.

Reply to
ss

Maybe that cat has two hearts..... :)

Reply to
metric

How do you find your own pulse?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

One in place of it's brain? It certainly has zero intelligence.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Press three fingers into the inside of the other wrist on the thumb side. (Don't use your thumb as that has a pulse of its own.)

Reply to
Max Demian

I don't think it would matter if he felt his thumb pulse instead of his radial artery pulse. Or do you suppose he needs to learn the proper technique for feeling others' pulses?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Grasp your neck firmly like you are trying to choke yourself. If you can't find the pulse in your carotids you're dead.

Reply to
rbowman

The easy way is to download the free "accurate heart rate" app off play and put you finger over the camera on your phone.

failing that the pulse in the neck is easy.

Reply to
dennis

He might, one day.

I can never do that, on myself at any rate.

I'm amused when people in TV dramas do it to tell (immediately) whether a person is dead. I don't see how you can be sure you have your fingers in the right place or the person's artery isn't deep, or the pulse weak.

Reply to
Max Demian

Wrist is better.

Reply to
Reentrant

TV doctors are much better than your average ER doc...which also explains why TV doctors make more than ordinary doctors.

Reply to
Bob

Nope, can't feel a pulse at all. I can sometimes feel a pulse in my neck, from my neck, without using fingers, if I've just been running fast, otherwise it's not detectable from the outside.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Huh. I can detect my pulse just by listening. It works only in a fairly quiet place, though.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I've only noticed that if I'm lying in bed in a certain position, and am nervous so it's louder.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Mammalian hearts have 4 valves, not 2. Fish have a 2 chambered heart.

Reply to
Peter
[snip]

And reptiles have a 3 chambered heart. An inefficient design (in some ways like the inefficient "back and forth" respiratory system).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On 02/10/2018 07:28 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote: [snip]

Sometimes I do to, the first time I noticed that was after climbing a steep hill on a hot day.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd