Popular Magazines You Never Heard Of

Number six is "Family Handyman", circulation 1,116,214. (The article says

1,116,213 but I just subscribed online.)

Number three is, of course, "American Rifleman" but you knew that.

HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:Xsmdnac5C8gF1pvSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I've heard of Family Handyman -- they sell it next to the checkouts at Lowe's. Every issue, they print "how I screwed up" stories that readers have sent, paying $100 for each one that sees print. The really surprising thing to me about these stories is not the massive foolishness that many of them display, but that so many people are willing to embarrass themselves in public for only a hundred bucks.

I've actually heard of five out of the eleven... including the Rifleman, of course...

Reply to
Doug Miller

-snip-

8 out of 11 here-- 2 come to the house. [and 3 others used to]

The cover they show of American Rifleman is a prime example of why

*it* doesn't come here any more. It is more about politics than guns.

Guns and Gardens is a new one-- cool title.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Regrettably, guns ARE political. Just this past week, California outlawed open carry (of unloaded handguns). Now they're having to deal with the unintended consequences.

Guess what? Open-carry advocates have a NEW technique to garner attention.

Note motorcycle cop with offending shotgun.

Reply to
HeyBub

Speaking of the Family Handyman goofs...

In today's economy I should send in all of mine. I'd be a millionaire!!!

Reply to
r.mariotti

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 07:21:12 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote Re Re: Popular Magazines You Never Heard Of:

Sadly, that what the Bill of Rights has become in the US: politics, instead of guaranteed Rights.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

re: Family Handyman

If you have any clue about being a "handyman" you'll be canceling your subscription soon.

That rag has sucked for years. I used to get it about 10 years ago but it was either wrong or so basic that it was a waste of time to read. I recently picked up a copy at a doctor's office and found that nothing had changed.

Once in a while they included a decent plan for something useful, but for the most part there was never enough meat for it to be worth the cost or the time spent reading it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I noticed the "meat" vanishing from magazines years ago sort of like the food packaging in the grocery store where the 16oz package is now

12oz in the same size box. I noticed the content of Popular Science and Popular Mechanics contains more advertising than articles in the last 20 years or so. When I was a kid, I could look forward to hours of reading with just a couple of magazines not to mention National Geographic which my parents saved so we had a closet full. Now I do the majority of my reading online which is good in a way because I can increase the size of the text so I can see it. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Some of the "articles" in Popular Science remind me of the Sky Mall magazine. Brand new "high tech" gadgets displayed with fancy descriptions claiming how great they are.

I'd like to see PS publish a "Remember When?" issue 5 years from now telling us whether any of the products they highlighted actually worked out to be as great as they claimed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I seem to remember them doing something like that about products that were introduced with a lot of fanfare and claims of being world changing like The Segway. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

About 1990, they should have done article about hand held cell phones. Those will never ever catch on. Why would anyone want to carry a telephone with them? Phones belong on the wall in the kitchen, not in your pocket.

Harumph. Never be popular.

.

I seem to remember them doing something like that about products that were introduced with a lot of fanfare and claims of being world changing like The Segway. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I remember that, too. I'm pretty sure it was PS. Maybe some other mag?

I think it was on a page that said; "5 years ago we said;" "10 years ago we said;" and "25 years ago. . . ;"

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Something like "A look back" or "Time Machine", heck I'd have to search for it but it's a kick to read. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It was either PS or PM... I know I have a couple old ones (50's,

60's) kicking around because someone salvaged them from the recycling center and they had road tests of interesting cars. Used the more banged up ones to make wall hangy thingys of the cool advertisements.

Upon reflection I think it's PM...

nate

Reply to
N8N