Stolen car goes airborne - ends up on roof (Fresno CA)

I think this qualifies as "on-topic" for alt.home.repair.

If you want to see a picture:

They're calling this an apartment, but it looks more like a house to me.

I'm impressed that the roof can take the weight of the car. Also strange is that the car didn't roll off.

Full story (with video coverage) here:

=========== Car drives onto roof by mistake

A stolen car became airborne and landed on the roof of a California apartment building, startling residents.

8:28PM GMT 05 Jan 2012

The driver, who fled the scene in California in his boxer shorts, is said to have lost control in foggy conditions, and hit some large rocks that sent the car flying into the air.

Police say the driver of the stolen vehicle was speeding and hit a raised area of the road and became airborne.

No one was injured in the incident in Fresno, California despite two people being in the house at the time.

"It appears that they climbed the berm (kerb), the car begins to go airborne, strikes a boulder and a tree stump that further lifts the car airborne and launched it upon the roof about 10 feet behind it," Lt. Anthony Martinez of the Fresno Police said.

Some residents of the area were startled and thought the whole thing was a prank.

"At first I though it was a prank like you've been punked or something, I thought somebody lowered the car on the house because that's not something you see everyday," witness Jeanell Ricks said.

Police arrested a 26-year-old man a short distance away from the accident scene. He faces charges of driving a stolen vehicle.

The vehicle was later removed from the roof by a crane. ============

Reply to
Home Guy

Home Guy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Guy.com:

I guess the incident must have scared the pants off him...

Reply to
Tegger

Whenever your car is airborn, put the car in park and set your parking break. First thing they taught me at Acme Driving School.

Reply to
micky

Home Guy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Guy.com:

sometimes,a house owner will split a house into two or more apartments,to get more income from the property.Some of the older Victorian homes in Buffalo have been split into 4 apartments. Sad,because they are beautiful on the outside.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

It looks like it could be a townhouse complex.

Hard to tell from the angles shown, but if they called it "an apartment" they could be refering to a rented townhouse.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You can usually tell by the fire escape stairs on the outside.

When I was working for my brother's aunt, who was running for Congress or the US Senate -- I forget which year this was -- I was going door to door on the hill overlooking Bethlehem Steel in Bethlehem Pa. Lots of big mansions that used to be lived in by the high-up execs, before they moved to a new n'hood in north Bethlehem.

It was fun because I got to see the hall, which was glamorous. One woman who let me come in lived in the living room. It might have been her whole apartment -- it was bigger than a NY studio apartment

-- but maybe she had the kitchen too.

The other people weren't home.

Reply to
micky

Yes, it's funy how people look at things like that.

I've met people who absolutely refuse to call their apartment an apartment, and even when it's relevant that there is more than one unit in t he building, they call it a condo, to make clear that they own it.

One guy at work used to say all the time, Got to clean the condo.

To me the physcal layout is one thing, and the financial arrangement something else.

Reply to
micky

I also don't think there is any lower status in renting than owning. It depends on the market which is a better deal, and it depends on housing availabitliy if the place you want to live is for sale or for rent.

Reply to
micky

Hell, I'm just happy to have a place to live. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And in NYC they buy apartments, I didn't figure that one out yet. I thought you rent apartments?

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Look up any of several definitions of "apartment". Rarely will you see any mention of "rent".

An apartment is typically defined as "A room or suite of rooms designed as a residence and generally located in a building occupied by more than one household."

Rented townhouses are sometime referred to as "apartments" since I guess you could consider the row of attached dwellings as a single building.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That is why building officials just call them multifamily dwellings/ It defines the building without addressing ownership

Reply to
gfretwell