OT: How to count a heart rate

How long has that inefficient design been working? One day after fishing out a horseshoe crab, I pondered that a design that has worked fro 450 million years must have something going for it. I released her and she scuttled away. Her offspring will probably be merrily swimming around when the very efficient h*mo sapiens is toast.

Reply to
rbowman

Why would the hot day make you beat faster?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword
[snip]

Natural selection produces a design that is "good enough", not one that is better.

Note that internal combustion engines have a similar need for air. However, those were designed by intelligent beings who wouldn't run the air intake through the exhaust.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know. The exercise did.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

What is better? IC engines have 'evolved' in my lifetime, mostly because of changing environmental criteria. Harley finally went to a water cooled engine and belt drive in a large part because the reduction of their contributions to the overall sound level allowed an exhaust note that didn't sound like a sparrow fart.

Are they better? Is the 1.5 liter engine in my Toyota better than the

430 ci behemoth that was in my Lincoln back in the day? It certainly wouldn't be better for propelling a 5000 lb. vehicle.

Two cycle engine designers probably would have run the intake through the exhaust if they could have gotten it to work. Intelligent beings don't lubricate the crank bearings by pouring oil into the fuel. :)

Reply to
rbowman

It wasn't what was implied in the original post but the thermoregulation process does affect heart rate. At high temperatures, more blood is pumped in an attempt to radiate heat while in cold temperatures the heart rate is reduced to preserve core temperature.

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman posted for all of us...

Little scorpion syndrome?

Reply to
Tekkie®

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

Another indication that the blood never makes it to your brain.

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 20:06:12 -0000, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

e:

o keep my skin warm.

Why let your fingers freeze off when you can give them a bit of your bod= y heat? It means I can walk barefoot in the snow all day.

-- =

If Russia invaded Turkey from behind, would Greece help?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

to keep my skin warm.

So when you're really warm and have more blood in your hands (notice the= thicker veins) you believe your brain is asleep? Not very bright are y= ou?

-- =

I find it ironic that the colours red, white, and blue stand for freedom= , until they're flashing behind you.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I really wish you were following me today on a little seven mile jaunt at -4 C. The snow had drifted over the trail and crusted over. Sometimes the crust would hold my weight, sometimes not. Your expression when you broke through would be priceless.

It was a beautiful day regardless, not a cloud in the sky and no wind to speak of.

I did see footprints in the snow last week where someone was either wearing those fivefinger deals or was completely insane.

I never said we don't have our fair share of fools in the US.

Reply to
rbowman

Both used in conjunction might provide a false reading :-)

Reply to
Scott

Your body can look after itself. Have you ever tried jumping into ice water? It's refreshing for a couple of minutes, then non-descript, then after you've been in for 20 minutes it's invigorating as you feel your muscles shivering.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword