OT. Hertz Buys 100,000 Teslas

WSJ had an article about this and they pointed out the tax payer is kicking $1.26 BILLION (30% credit for commercial electric vehicles) into this deal and makes a Tesla cheaper for Hertz than a Carolla. Like most of these things, follow the money.

Reply to
gfretwell

That is the kind of legislative nonsense I am opposed to. It is a false economy and we all pay for it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

As the batteries get smaller and more efficient that packs more energy into a small package. When it cuts loose, look out.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I heard it is cheaper to go to a locksmith than a dealer.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It would not lead to fire in space, of course, since there is no oxidizer. And in the context of a LION battery energy and heat are not synonomous (the anode/cathode convert chemical energy in the electrolyte into electrical energy).

Spraying water on it in the vacuum of space would be quite complicated given the absolutely low ambient temperatures.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The energy would still be there. It is just semantics about whether that release of energy is "fire". In the real world there is plenty of fuel in a car, mostly plastic and it is surrounded by air so when you have a massive source of heat, you have the 3 elements of fire. It would take massive amounts of CO2 to displace the air until the battery is depleted and foam is not that effective. I didn't make this shit up. The fire departments are still trying to find a good solution to this but right now it is mostly just stopping the spread of fire to other things and they just let the car burn out.

Reply to
gfretwell

There are many chemical combinations that do not depend on the oxygen in the air. Just look at all the rockets sent into space, they do not burn the oxygen from the air. Some chemical combination fires s can not be put out using water or co2.

I am thinking that phosphorus will even self ignit if put into water.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

As will pure lithium but this is a compound and YMMV.

Reply to
gfretwell

In all cases, the rockets carry their own oxidizers (LOX or various nitrogen oxides).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

BMW is not like most cars:

"Not only does this process take much longer (BMW), but it also costs you double if not more. When all is said and done at the dealership, you'll end up with a bill of $500 or more for replacing your BMW key! There's got to be a better way! In fact, there is a much better way! By working with a professional locksmith, like Cheap Lock & Key, and you can save yourself hundreds of dollars and a headache! For about $250-$350, you can have on the spot replacement at your location, including a new key fob and your immobilizer system reprogrammed. The keys locksmiths use and keep in-stock are exactly the same as the ones from the dealership."

That $500 BMW price includes towing the car, which isn't necessarily the case. I could be if you only have one key.

So this locksmith price is actually the same or higher than the dealer, but they do claim to offer on site, instant service for that price. It is interesting though, because they claim to be able to do the required cutting and reprogramming of the car system. My understanding was that the keys are laser cut, programmed to the car by VIN at some BMW central location and then the dealer did the reprogramming of the car. How locksmiths obtained the tools to do all that, IDK, but not sure it makes a difference if they wind up being about the same price anyway. I lost one around the house and am still hoping it shows up.

Reply to
trader_4

It's the other way around. White phosphorus is kept under water because if exposed to air it instantly ignites. A high school science teacher decided to demonstrate that and wound up having to evacuate the class room when it ran amok and he couldn't put it out. You may be thinking of putting sodium into water. That releases hydrogen and enough heat to ignite it.

Reply to
trader_4

I probably got the chemicals mixed up. I knew one had to be kept under something like kerosene to keep it safe. Turns out to be sodium that will ignite in water and it is the phosphorus that goes under water.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

For Sodium, the reaction with water is exothermic (produces heat)

2Na(s) + 2H2O yields 2NaOH(aq) + H2(g)

I.e. two molecules of solid sodium plus two water molecules yield sodium hydroxide (aqueous) and hydrogen gas.

The released hydrogen is ignited by the heat produced by the reaction, with the oxygen in air as an oxidizer.

heat + fuel + oxidizer = fire.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I paid $350 at the dealer for a 2020 Ecosport fob. They threw in an oil change. When the locksmith finally returned my call almost 2 weeks later he was half that.

Reply to
gfretwell