OT. Hertz Buys 100,000 Teslas

Ah, that's why TSLA popped this morning. Might make $1,000/share today.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Good. You can spoil yourself with a fancy supper.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Meant to say that the stock might "reach" 1,000/share today.

The fancy supper was a week ago at the Sardine Factory.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Wonder what the deals will be like in a year or two when Hertz rolls over the fleet?

Reply to
gfretwell

The article didn't say anything about roll over. Won't Hertz be able to hang onto the Teslas longer than a ICE vehicle?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

They already did change their business methods by buying electric vehicles. They have to put in charging systems and change maintenance procedures and equipment.

You can be sure they will be selling them at what they feel is the optimal times and it may or may not differ from ICE cars.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Because electric vehicles don't require oil changes, smog tests, belt changes, plug changes, timing belt changes, radiator fluid changes, or any of a myriad of other automobile maintenance activities.

That changes the value proposition considerably as well as the depreciation period.

There are hundreds of reasons that an electric may last longer, mainly enumerated in vast reduction of parts related to an internal combustion engine.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Does the range deteriorate over the first few years ? Renters will expect ~ new battery range. Also to be considered are the suspension and cosmetic wear & tear - rentals are often driven pretty hard - stretching it to 4-5 years might seem like rent-a-wreck ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

10% over 200,000 miles. Not significant.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That seems quite good ! I was recently looking to replace my riding mower and checked-out the battery-powered ones - the big complaint on the customer reviews was the noticable loss of battery life after just the first season. .. ~ $ 2000. to replace the battery on a Cub Cadet - Pass that. Bought an Ariens gas zero turn. John T.

Reply to
hubops

When we were looking at electric cars ~8 years seemed to be the cliff. After that batteries started showing significant decline. I doubt Hertz would keep a car that long. The majors tend to roll them in the

16 months to 2 years time frame. I wouldn't be surprised if they base it on maintenance history tho. You are right that an electric may have a different curve but they still try to maximize resale value while still squeezing as much juice out of car as they can. OTOH is the government giving Hertz an incentive that is attractive to them. They just returned from the dead.
Reply to
gfretwell

That's pretty good. I hope my cell phone does that well.

Reply to
micky

That's because people don't use grass filters on their battery caps.

Reply to
micky

In 2021 I doubt something like this would use a conventional lead acid battery with caps.

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't know. When you buy 100,000 of an item, things are negotiable. Would make sense for Hertz to do some of the service. Do you think they are going to periodically take 100,000 cars to a Tesla service center? Take it to Tesla for a checkup after every rental? Ten rentals?

I don't make assumptions and neither of us knows the terms of the deal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[lots snipped]

I was looking at rechargable, sit down, riding lawn mowers a couple of years ago. And yes, they're lead acid.

I just checked the current offers and some are Li-ion, but yes, the lead acid ones are still hanging around.

Reply to
danny burstein

The last lead-acid rider I saw was ~ 20 years ago and it was far-from-new .. ... they do go back a few years :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Hertz doesn't seem to do much maintenance themselves out here in flyover land. In the first 2 years of life it is mostly just oil changes and the normal things they do between rentals like cleaning and adding fluids. The 2 Avis cars I bought had 25,000 and 30,000 miles with only a few oil changes in the log. I bet they did it at an oil change joint. My neighbor used to be a lot manager at Hertz and they didn't do anything there but shine them up, top up the fluids and get them ready to rent again. The only difference when they get them ready to sell is they smear the shiny stuff on the tires and reset the entertainment center to factory (for several hundred bucks)

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm reading that Hertz has a fleet of over 600,000 cars.

Also appears that Tesla has the biggest drop in resale value.

Maybe if you want an electric car, a used one would be the best value. Of course once the battery is shot the car is worthless with no sales value.

Reply to
invalid unparseable