OT. Harley's woes

This is purely speculation on my part. Part of HD's problems are due to to the aging population. The baby boomers hit their second child hood and had to have a motorcycle. Everyone knows it ain't a real bike unless it had the HD sound. Now the boomers need walkers more than a poker run. There are 50,100 used Harleys for sale right now on Cycle Trader. <https://www.cycletrader.com/find-motorcycles-for-sale? Hit make on the above page. The totals for sale will pop up in another window.
On 6/28/18 8:46 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

This is from Webbike World. Sales of motorcycles peaked back in 2005. <https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-sales-statistics/
Dean Hoffman wrote:

I've been thinking it might be fun. Doesn't the noise get a little tiring? How about a Honda?
On 06/28/2018 09:16 PM, Bill wrote:

It doesn't bother me but some people use ear plugs and a full face helmet to keep the noise level down. At highway speeds the wind noise is more annoying than the exhaust note.

And is the thing that causes hearing damage over time.
On 06/29/2018 01:46 AM, rbowman wrote:

Harleys with loud pipes aside, motorcycles are awesome fun...but sharing the road with a bunch of texters on drugs scares the fuck out of me.
On 6/29/2018 6:33 AM, Bill wrote:

I've got neighbors with motorcycles but the guy with the Harley is annoying when he comes home at 1 am to wake the neighbors. Only satisfaction I have is that when he is my age he will be stone deaf.
I used to bicycle and can understand the lure of the open road but one day I had a shifting problem that tossed me over the handlebars to hit the road at maybe 20 mph. Helmet saved my head but not my shoulder and broken collar bone led to surgery to put in a plate which is still there today. That noisy neighbor walks with a limp due to a motorcycle accident that hospitalized him for a month but still rides his motorcycle today. If I am on the road I want to be protected by seat belt, air bags and steel.
On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 12:20:07 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

?  Part of HD's problems

hood

unless it

on Cycle Trader.

ls for sale will pop up in

es of motorcycles peaked

It's not the bikes, it's the owners. The stock pipes are fairly quiet. Upon buying one, most owners either modify those or switch to pipes that are louder. I have what I consider reasonable ones on mine, louder than stock but nowhere near the straight pipes that the assholes ride around on. I know of one town in PA that got fed up, they put up a roadcheck on weekends when the bikers invade and if you had illegal pipes, you got ticketed.
On 6/29/2018 6:33 AM, Bill wrote:

If a rider truly believes loud pipes saves lives, they have no business being on a motorcycle.

It is clear you have not been on a bike around bad car drivers. They just don't see you.
On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 17:13:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And they don't associate the loud pipes with any danger to themselves or others either. They are TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS to what is going on around them. Those loud pipes could be ahead of them behind them, beside them, or a block away. I've owned and ridden bikes for years - one had a loud set of hooker headers and it didn't make things any safer.

For starters, you can mainly hear the pipes from behind...what good is that?
Been riding for several decades and have traveled far and wide on my bike. I never needed loud pipes and never went down. Yes, there are MANY idiots out there and they are oblivious to anything around them regardless of the noise. I'm aware of my surroundings and anticipate the idiotic moves.
On 06/29/2018 12:55 PM, Meanie wrote:

They may not save lives but they sure are fun when you're at a stoplight next to some moron yapping on a cellphone. Can you hear me now, mother raper?
On 6/29/18 1:55 PM, Meanie wrote:

I think it has gotten more dangerous. Riders can't see over the SUVs and pickups like we could over cars forty years ago. I've noticed quite a few vehicles with running lights. A motorcycle's headlight won't stand out as well now. Cell phones.
On 06/29/2018 08:18 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I've got a better chance of seeing over the barges than I have in my Toyota; on a bike I can stand on the pegs.
On 6/28/18 10:16 PM, Bill wrote:

I've had rice grinders all of my life. HDs weren't very reliable back when I started riding. And they have always been pricey. My idea of a good time is to take a tour to where ever. I get to a stop sign and decide left or right. I stop to read the hysterical markers along the way. Nebraska has a few of those scattered around talking about long gone towns, a battle against the Indians, or maybe a settler. I'll sometimes make a lap or two through whatever towns I happen by. A lot of those are withering. The railroad took another path or has closed down. The farmers or ranchers that supported the towns are gone. There's no substitute for the feeling of the open road one gets on a bike. You own the world. Wind noise outweighs any exhaust noise you'll hear at highway speeds. Wear ear plugs. Some states, like Nebraska, have helmet laws. I had a Honda Sabre way back when. 699cc. It was just under the 700cc starting point for the tariffs President Reagan imposed to keep HD in business. That might've been the best of the ones I've had. Shaft drive is nicer than chain drive. Changing tires was easier with the shaft drive. Gas mileage might disappoint you. Expect lower 40s unless there's a strong tail wind.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 20:46:50 -0500, Dean Hoffman

The flip side of that is the 1%ers want a real Harley, not some rice burner clone.

Sonny Barger, arguably the most famous 1%er, has went on the record saying he'd be riding a Honda ST1100 if it wasn't against the bylaws of the club. In his book he talks up the Victory Vision which was his ride at the time. victory had some good ideas but the Vision was a little too weird for my taste.
Polaris phased out the Victory last year after they bought the Indian name. Indian has more sales appeal to the traditional Harley audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doMBJxQTwIk

This guy makes some damn good points. Polaris has the potential to go off in new directions rather than trying to outbag the king of baggers.

I like riding more than wrenching so I'll take a genuine Gold Wing.
On 06/29/2018 04:52 AM, Larry wrote:

I've never owned a Honda, nothing against the brand it just never happened. I've wrenched on Yamahas, Suzukis, and Harleys. They've all been pretty dependable but they all required TLC at times. The only one that came home on a flatbed was a Suzuki when the stator fried itself. I almost made it before the battery's last gasp.