OT - Harley redux

Thought this would be of interest on motorcycle noise discussion:

Watching TV this am while on computer a show Wardens on the Outdoor Channel showed Michigan game wardens checking snow mobiles for noise where 80 decibels is the limit. They do this because a lot of trails are on public property and if too noisy the public loses access by the landowner.

Wish the police here were more diligent in checking motor vehicle noise. There are places here where jake brakes are prohibited to be used.

Reply to
Frank

This is a good example of government making life complicated. Some of the laws cite certain years, certain sizes, speed, or whatever. It's hard to picture a busy cop wasting his time on this. They'll go after speeders or other people breaking simpler laws. Nebraska cops catch drug haulers with bad lights, speeding or breaking some clear traffic law.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I misspoke and should have said a lot of these trails were on private property. They stopped one guy for noise but then found marijuana use. My experience with some off roaders or even hunters, hikers and fishermen is that they figure they can get away with anything out of public view.

Problem in this area with trucks going through residential areas to avoid tolls can rattle whole neighborhood at night. No noise where I live but I have been in many homes near roads where road noise could be heard anywhere in the house.

Reply to
Frank

Virtually anywhere within 2 miles of a settlement here

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I'd rather tolerate a passing semi than a loud obnoxious motorcycle who's rider needs to blip the throttle to overcome his inadequacy.

Reply to
Meanie

Agreed, noise is noise regardless of those categories.

It's hard to picture a busy cop wasting his time on this.

If there's enough complaints, they will waste their time.

The city I reside has bike nights every Wed and Thurs, but it's a very trendy very populated area for all likes to hang out and riders frequent all the time. There are outdoor cafes several feet for the curbside parking. Riders back into the parking spaces on the curb. There have been an occasional asshole who blips his inferior manhood several times when parking and prior to turning off as well as after starting and prior to leaving, while patrons are trying to enjoy an outside meal. The cops finally put a stop to it and posted notices all over that loud pipes will now be checked in our city. It's a win win for the city since more people will visit without the inconsiderate moron riders ruining their dining experiences.

Reply to
Meanie

I never knew this state even had a noise limit... Limits are one thing, enforcement is another.

Reply to
rbowman