Rockler

I thougth I had enough when I saw they had desiged "slots" for your bench for their bench cookies.

Now, this morning, I see they have a 3 piece "Glue Applicator Kit" ($14.99).

I hope you folks aren't encouraging them! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Have you used them? They are pretty cool. I suppose you could try to find some silicone material and make your own. Good luck with that. :-)

The first time you use one of those spreaders and peel all the glue off with one yank, it's worth the price of admission right then and there. I suppose if you'd rather use scraps of wood to spread your glue or foam brushes, you'll be happy. Those foam brushes start to add up and I never seem to have a clean one handy. Good luck cleaning the glue off of those. :-) To each his own.

Besides, in a couple months they'll be $9.99 with free shipping.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I suppose you are talking slots for fastening the cookies. They will walk if you don't fasten them in place.

The 3 piece kit, you sure don't need it but it sure makes life easier if you can part with $15, especially if you do a lot of gluing.

Reply to
Leon

I tried my new painting pyramids the other day and the project went skidding off it half a dozen times while the pyramids went skidding all around the wax paper I put under them. I'm less impressed in them after use, lemme tell ya. I'll screw 'em to some scrap sheet next time.

Yeah, special heads for glue can be a godsend at times, ensuring good coverage on both sides of biscuit holes, f'rinstance. I'm as fond of Rockler's pricing as I am Festool's.

would be the kit I'd opt for instead of the 3-pc set, but only when it was on half price sale with free shipping.

-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Besides being cheap, foam brushes come in multiple sizes.

My last two times through Rockler's cashier, I was offered a glue brush. The first time I asked hesitantly, "are they free?" and it was explained that they were $4.99 (IIRC). I passed. I later realized that they were too small for most of my purposes anyway. The markup on those must be outstanding...same as the bench cookies. Next thing you know, Harbor Freight and Rockler may join forces.

I think it would make the store Alot more exciting if they were a little bit more like a woodworking school. If they offer the right things I'll spend, but I'm not talking about a glue brush or a bench cookie! I'm not interested in turning a pen either! : ) Some visitors seem to enjoy seeing the carvers there on Saturday morning--I've seen them ask.

Reply to
Bill

I didn't see much "magic" in that 3-piece kit.

Keep in mind they always offer 20-25% off coupons, and they factor that into their pricing a priori. I agree that $16.59 for that is silly. You might do better at a craft store. I don't wish to see Rockler close their doors, but I hate to see them looking for a quick buck. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I hope they evolve with more educational product. Of course, that makes it a lot more difficult to be a corporation with franchises... It's easier for franchises to sell glue bottles.

Reply to
Bill

Not impressed with the kit, but don't knock that sillycone glue brush until you try it.

The spade end is great for putting glue in mortises, and the brush end spreads nicely and cleans up after itself ...

Reply to
Swingman

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood working is a hobby you can afford.

Reply to
Leon

Did I say a high profit margin was a bad thing? In this case, I think it's comical. IMHO, Apple is more deserving of the one they have. And where the f. do you come accross talking to me like that?

Reply to
Bill

Well, you brought it up, and you certainly brought it up in a manner that made it seem so.

Hopefully, with a good deal more woodworking experience under your belt, you'll better appreciate the fact that the cost to benefit ratio of many woodworking implements isn't always apparent to a novice.

ITMT, if it gets too hot in the kitchen, might want to reconsider firing up the stove in the first place ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

Sorry Bill, but then you mentioned the $5 price and passed and figured the profit must be outstanding.....hopefully you are not just now realizing that the less expensive the product the greater the profit margin. I have run businesses since I was 21 years old and am currently self employeed/retired. The perceived/comical mark up is a fact of life, and that is absolutely not a very recent development. Have you ever purchased valve stems with a set of tires. I used to sell them for an exorbitant price of $1 each in the mid to late 70's. I paid about 3 cents each for them. If inexpensive products did not have a high mark up they would not be worth stocking and taking up room on the shelf. How much would pay for that item if you had to have it shipped? Ever wonder what the cost of a caned soft drink costs the retailer? How about that $1.50 Coke at McDonald's, I can assure you that if there was not the cost of the paper cup the drink would be almost all profit and the reason free refills are offered.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly. Always cracks me up when people say that. Something is worth what someone will pay for it, period. I hope they are making several hundred percent on them. That way they stay in business and will still be available when I need to buy something.

Evil bastards, trying to make a profit. ;-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I don't drink, smoke, wear fancy clothes, chase women, drive or buy fancy cars, go to restaurants (not by choice), or own any green tools. And I don't have any children (not bragging, by any means), I don't have a dime of debt and I haven't paid any interest to anyone in 25 years.

Being value-concious and being able to afford things are two entirely separate matters, sir. I'm giving up cable-tv this week. Do you have the balls to do that?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I majored in economics (among other things). I have even worked in sales and run my own (small) businesses. I understand the dynamics of a transaction probably as well as anyone here.

Reply to
Bill

More than likely they are making a few thousand percent mark up.

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years ago, he had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of Blue clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3 years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

Reply to
Leon

I have had 10 of them for a few years now. I mostly use them for holding a fresh varnished piece to keep all sides up and ventilated.

Don't go into Woodcraft. :~) Rockler is cheap by comparison.

Reply to
Leon

I wouldn't give up cable, but if you do, it may help you with your woodworking because you might have more time for it.

Despite some of the critical language that goes on here and I'm certainly not exempt from using it, try to look past it if the topic is woodworking related... There's a whole lot of knowledge here for the taking if you choose to do so.

Reply to
Dave

Balls? Wow. So, you're preference to be entertained in difference ways than another person means you have balls? Get over yourself.

We like to eat out, partly because we like to support our local economy. I guess I don't have the balls to eat in.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Good for them. What's your point?

So what? Great. They are worth what he's selling them for or he wouldn't be selling them. You think it's too much, go to China and get them made for yourself.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You didn't see me run for the door. Sharing a little tidbit with you (and the group), you might be surprised how much a little knowledge of woodcarving can make a difference in one's wood working technique. It enhances ones appreciation of the structure of the wood and how to best cut (wood fibers). I'm not a know-it-all, just sharing my personal observation.

Reply to
Bill