Window Blinds

I measured my window and it is 36 ish inches wide. I went to home depot and got a set of blinds. I asked if 36" was a standard size. The guy said it was and he gave me blinds that are only

35" wide.

When I mounted the bracket to the side of the window frame and the bracket is too wide to hold the blinds. I guess I will have to put a half inch spacer between the bracket and the window frame.

I see that Google says Standard sliding window widths are 36. I wonder why Home depot has 35" blinds.

Reply to
no

Sounds like you have nonstandard windows.

Reply to
Bill

I assume your description of "36ish" means it exceeds 36". If it was exactly 36", that's 1/2" space on each side and those 35" blinds should fit fine.

Reply to
Meanie

When I have bought blinds the past 20 years I have measured the windows and then had the blinds cut to fit. At Home Depot or Lowes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill
[snip]

I bought blinds at Wal-Mart for 2 windows. I measured them and got the proper size (according to them). In both cases, I had to go back for the next larger size.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Take it back and get one that's the right size. There are plenty of other stores, including ones that just do blinds, at least around here.

Reply to
trader_4

Exactly. You also need the correct length. Unless you want to figure out how to remove slats and shorten the strings.

All the blinds I've bought in the last 20 years I bought online.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss
[snip]

Unnecessary with the blinds I used. You just don't lower them any farther than the windowsill.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

But then it (1) is bunched up at the bottom, and (2) when pulled up there is more bunched up at the top. Excess at the top reduces the light into the room, and when fully up, one presumes they are trying to get maximum light.

Slats come in different widths. The disadvantage of narrow ones is there are more slats and when pulled up more space is taken by the slats. Hence I am not a fan of narrow slats.

For a room with very large windows (85-3/4" high) I bought 2-1/2" slats. For another room with normal windows (70-1/2" high) I bought 2" wide slats.

I'm fortunate that all the windows on the front side have their original wood shutters. (It's an 1892 row house.)