OT: Getting out of a car underwater

Are Americans really incapable of smashing the glass of their own car to escape? It's hardly rocket science.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you have one of these;

then it's a non-issue. If you don't, you might find that the glass will resist every effort to smash it.

You've obviously never tried to smash a window in a late model car.

Reply to
Xeno

Yet another reason why older is better...

badgolferman

Agree.

Reply to
alt.home.repair

No, it's not rocket science, but it is material science.

Try it some time and get back to us.

When I'm driving, I don't mind rolling down my own window, but even when parked it's really hard to roll down the passenger side, and the rear windows are even much harder, so I like power windows.

Some people think driving a convertible with the top down and the windows up is declasse, so that's another reason I like them.

Reply to
micky

A spring loaded center punch has been known to do the job. Or one of these which is basically a spring loaded center punch.

I'd buy one if I lived near water. I'm surprised that every law enforcement officer doesn't carry one. I see cops beating out car windows with flashlight butts or looking for rocks on crime TV. Maybe, they don't work?

Reply to
Leonard Blaisdell

You can remove the windscreen by pushing it with both feet. Or hit the window with any hard object.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've broken into my car a couple of times by breaking the glass.

Strange opinion, any convertible is cool. Why would winding the windows up be wrong?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not talking about the windscreen

Not so easy on modern cars. Your experience seems to be with ancient dungers!

Reply to
Xeno

Really? With water pressure pressing it towards you?

Reply to
Bob F

Why would you not consider the largest window as a means of escape?

The glass is not stronger to impact. They make it breakable by design.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

Windshield are laminated glass and plastic so rocks cannot easily get through. They are NOT an escape route.

Reply to
Bob F

And the pressure from the water outside is way more than any individual can match.

See the mythbusters extensive treatment of the issue.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Pressure isn't everything.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

It is a hell of a lot more than you have got.

Reply to
Bob F

Idiot. You can break into a car easily through the windshield. The glass shatters safely, then you can pull it off.

And you don't need to capitalise words for no reason. It's still a negative even without the capitals.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

You don't need to match it. You hit the window in a very small area.

Like they're always right. They never cover things completely.

They did get rid of the stupid myth of you dying in 15 minutes in ice water though.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

Hint: I'm not pushing the whole window.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

Vladimir Putin wrote on 1/1/2024 7:22 PM:

It is not easy to break the glass with your fist while you are strapped to your car seat. It is not easy to find an object hard enough to break the glass when you are strapped to your car seat. That's why people make all kinds of emergency escape hammer for cars to break the glass.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Breaking the windshield "glass" does little to get you out of the car

Bob F