OT. Computer Purchase Advice

It happens that snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca formulated :

I get the same from Imgur, some trimmings around the edges but the 'canvas' remains dark grey. My Chrome browser does the same thing.

Too bad when posters post images and discuss them here without describing them and I can't see them.

Someone once posted one with angle brackets around it, and it worked. Then I tried the original - and it worked too. Then later back to dark grey every time since.

Old version won't upgrade on my XP machine. 52.9.0.6746

Reply to
FromTheRafters

There was some java monkey-business a few years back - - I found this link but don't fully understand all the ins-and-outs and history ...

I upgraded FireFox today on my Win 8.1 Pro laptop to version 84.0 and Imgur seems to work OK now. ... the browser seems a tad faster also. John T.

Reply to
hubops

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca was thinking very hard :

Thanks. I guessed it might be something like that.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I'm running Firefox 83.0 64 bit and the latest version of Edge. Thats as close to Chrome as I want to get. I still use IE11 too. On my phone I have the latest firefox and Safari - usually use the fox.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Bought a new Windows laptop last week and of course it had Edge installed. But I was surprised to find that it also had IE11 installed (though it was hidden down in the Windows Accessories folder). So when I fired IE11 up guess what the very first screen said. That I should should switch to Edge of course.

Reply to
AJL

Probably JavaScript, to be pedantic. Despite the name they're two different animals. Java was used for applets that ran in the browser. Back in the day they were faster than JavaScript but they had multiple issues, including security problems.

I think IE 11 may be the last browser that supports them. JavaScript, otoh, pretty much holds the web together. It turned 25 on 4 Dec and has vastly outgrown its initial job description. I even use Node.js as the backend in preference to IIS or Apache.

Reply to
rbowman

Both the NPAPI plugins and ActiveX were pretty much drummed out of polite society around 2017. We had been using a Java applet and phased it out in favor of standalone installations. The applet was nice since you only had to out updates on the server rather than installing it on a bunch of machines but so it goes.

Flash will be the next thing to go and was supposed to be phased out by the end of the year. It was another security problem. Any site using it better be busy developing an alternative. It will be like digital TV. There was a shoestring Christian channel but they either didn't know how or didn't have the money to go digital so they're gone. I miss seeing Joel Osteen's oily little weasel face when I scan the OTA channels, really I do.

Reply to
rbowman

That's normal. IE doesn't get removed when you agree to install Edge. It just gets demoted to where it's less visible. If you prefer, you can bring it back to front and center by pinning it to your taskbar and/or start menu. It's IE though, complete with its bad reputation, so I don't suppose you'll do that.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I treat my phone like yours, but my car radio has a touch screen and although it works when it's dirty, I don't like it. I'm one of the sloppiest people you've ever met, but I don't like the screen being dirty. When the top is down it reflects every smudge and it's even worse. And cleaning it is not that easy. I have a water bottle but never have a cloth, so I use my knit glove maybe, or a paper napkin.

OTOH, I don't use the map often, because I usually look at a map before I start I know where I'm going, or I use the phone map, but the radio map is still good to have. I've used it for real about 4 times in 3 years and it was good to have.

If I had a touch monitor, I'd have to lean forward every time I touched it, so even if I get one for free, I'm sticking with keyboard and mouse.

I have a tablet I got free, old model. I should probably try to use it. People like those things, maybe I would too.

Reply to
micky

Well, it worked. It semes to require logging in every time, unlike myphoneexplorer, but it also displaye my photos and pretty big too. I needed 5 of them and I could copy each one to the clipboard. So far size was not a problem. Thanks.

'm a little afraid of her machine gun.

Yes, I did.

Reply to
micky

Mine didn't. Dunno why.

Guess it depends on the screen. My LT has a 12" screen and since my phone is a + model they both end up looking about the same size.

Glad it worked out for you.

:-) Yep, the BlueStacks Android emulator has some scary games. But fortunately it also works well (full screen) for my favorite Android news apps that don't have anything equivalent in Windows.

Reply to
AJL

Maybe it didnt' really, or maybe it's because I turn my phone off in between. I only want to link the two once in a while so it's not a problem.

My phone will display either a whole bunch of little ones, or one picture at a time full screen, but this displayed 6 iirc at a time, 2 columns, 3 rows. Very convenient.

MyPhoneExploer makes it easy to copy the pictures to the PC and use whatever I want to display them, but it's more steps.

OTOH, the other thing I really want is if I have to send long texts. MyPhoneExplorer does a good job, but who knows, this might be better.

I haven't installed it yet. Those machine guns you know, but maybe Sunday.

Well the WYPR app has all the NPR program archives in one place. I could use that. (I'm surprised all the NPR stations don't use the same app, with the call letters changed, but I dont' thin they do.)

Reply to
micky

It's likely because you turn your phone off then. My LT and phone apparently continue talking to each other when sleeping because there are texts waiting for me in the morning when I wake the LT.

I use Google Drive for photos. Whether I want to bore people with pictures on my LT, phone, TV, or one of my tablets, they're always available and synced. Likewise I can add a photo (or any file or folder) from any one device and it's automatically synced to all my other devices.

Google does have a special app for photos that does the same thing (likely better) but I've been using my photo (and video) file system since before Google and didn't want to change or be locked into one app.

I downloaded WYPR to give it a try. Works great full screen. Will keep it. Thanks.

The NPR app (by NPR) unfortunately doesn't run full screen in BlueStacks.

Reply to
AJL