OT. Computer Purchase Advice

The machine I tried with a touchscreen at Best Buy was a desktop with keyboard and mouse so I did not make opinion on machine with a touch pad type mouse. I do not like the touch pad as much as a mouse and have a mouse for my HP laptop. I still doubt the need for a touchscreen when you have a keyboard and touch pad. I assume it raises the price of the machine by maybe $100. My laptop keyboard is fine but my wife does not like the keyboard on her laptop and has a separate keyboard and mouse.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Pretty decent looking solution. I'm not a big fan of HP - but it should do the job. Asus MAY have been the better choice - but not a big difference. I usually sell Acer and Lenovo. Have had fewer issues than with HP. I find ACER to be the best value for the dollar, particularly on their medium to high end systems.

Reply to
Clare Snyder
[snip]

I do too. Also, the one laptop I have with a touch screen, I disabled it (there was no firmware switch, but I could disable the driver) since it could be hard to avoid touching it unintentionally while using the keyboard.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

As I said YMMV. Of course a touchscreen is not a required item and usually does raise the price. Some other LT luxuries that raise the price are more RAM, more storage, lighted keyboard, fingerprint password, etc. That's why you can get a Windows LT from (around) $150 to $2000. I've owned cheapies in the past and I would really hate to go back. But I'll end this post the same way I started...YMMV.

Reply to
AJL

How often do you have to clean a touchscreen? I clean the screen of my smartphone every 2-3 years by giving it a swipe across my jeans, but that's not because it needs it. I have 3 tablets that are about 6 years old and I haven't had to clean those screens yet. No kids here, so maybe that's the difference.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

It is nice to have discussions like this to keep abreast of what is going on in the computer world as one year is like a dog year and a 5 year old computer is middle aged in computer years.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

When it gets dirty of course. I notice all the prints and smears when it's off because they pretty much disappear when the screen's on.

No kids here either. Guess my hands are just greasier and dirtier than yours. I should start washing them more often with this covid thing but so far haven't.

This is of course somewhat tongue in cheek. But the truth is my cheapie LT never needed its screen cleaned. Not so this luxurious touchscreen LT I'm posting with. And to commemorate this high brow discussion I will transmit this post with a screen push. Damn, another fingerprint.

Reply to
AJL

" bleeding edge " technology... as in bleeding your wallet .. :-) My present computer serves me just fine - thank you .. 12 year old Vista era Thinkpad running Win 8 Pro. I've had it ~ 3 years it cost me $ 140. plus $ 40. for a battery. I recently added a memory stick to get up to 6 gigs, and an SSD. It does zoom and streaming .. I can't figure out what am I missing ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yes, as far as cars and computers go, I am a buyer and a holder and only buy new when I have too. I also prefer buying something that has been out a while and survived the test of time. It is also cheaper to do so.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I agree, but I see things just a little differently. Twenty years ago, CPU performance used to double every year or two, RAM got faster, and so on, so it really was a race to keep up, if a person wanted to. In the last decade or so, things have mostly settled down. My wife is still perfectly happy with a 17" HP laptop that I bought for her in 2009. I still primarily use a

15" Dell laptop that I bought in 2013. My tablets are each about 5-8 years old. The newest PC is a Chromebook from about 2017. Our smartphones were new in 2016. My stuff may be old but it doesn't seem obsolete.
Reply to
Jim Joyce

Computers reached near ultimate for most home users a long time ago. I can sure tell the difference from my old 386SX. I can certainly tell the difference in calculating a spreadsheet in 8 seconds or .5 seconds, but can't see (or care) the difference between 8ms and 5ms.

I replaced both my desktop and laptop this year because both were old and failed, not for any really nice features or speed.

From my first 8088 in 1985 I've had a series of monitor upgrades too, from a 10" monochrome, 14" VGA, 17" CRT, 17" LCD, 21" LCD.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Some cut.

I bought this MacBook this spring. The old one got the three beeps and blank screen syndrome. I finally got it going long enough so I could load pictures to the cloud. There is a picture of my great grandparents at the farm. It must be 120+ years old. It doesn't need a backup. That's one bad thing about all this fancy electronic stuff. The fun of digging through a box of old pictures probably won't be there down the road.

.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Good luck. Poor battery life is a recurring theme in the user reviews.

Reply to
rbowman

No, but it saves embarrassment. I was touching the location icon on my laptop today and wondering why nothing was happening.

Reply to
rbowman

I've been in the computer business in one way or another since 1989. I've personally owned 1 new laptop and 2 new desktops in that period of time. ( also 1 Radio Shack COCO and the Sanyo555 that came with my RFI course) I still have the COCO - - - -All the rest were "rebuilts" and "salvage". My current desktop is an Acer Veriton i7 I bought new in 2010. I looked at the new i7G10 and it's only about 10-15% faster than mine so I'll keep the old one - - - I'm running a 24" Hannspree TV as my monitor. My wife's desktop is a "salvage" cheapass Acer AMD mini desktop obout the same age that was surplussed out by one of the insurance companies I did work for - actually in the 9 1/2 ton pile of scrap I moved out of the office they abandoned when they were bought out by the other one I worked for. I've got a "salvage" HP Pavillon i3 sitting by as a spare. I've got a 17" "salvage" DELL laptop and a 17" "salveage" Compaq laptop.

I also have a "salvage" HP Pavilion Entertainment PC laptop - a 12 incher that is part of a "dj"setup. It was a touch-screen - running win7 Pro on an AMD QL60. The touch screen was damaged - but the "pen" still works. It's a "convertible" with a swivel screen. I also have an ols Blackberry Playbook and a 10 inch Android Quad Core tablet I bought new snd virtuslly never use.

In the last30 years I've bought two new cell phones - a Nokia and a Motorola. The nokia was a decent phone - the motorola was CRAP - repaired twice and replaced once under warranty before I "inherited" an early blackberry and put the motorola out of it's misery with a hammer. Since then it's been surplus/salvaged blackberries untill I inherited my daughter's surplus i-phones ( an old SE for me and a 4 for my wife) The SE is my wife's now since an old client handed me his surplus 8 a couple months ago. (I've got 8 or 10 blackberries in a box from Torches to q30s) The i4 may end up on the bicycle as a GPS - - -

I've bought a few inkjet printers and an OKI 400 LED (laser) printer decades ago, and a new Canon Maxify inkjet that I still have about 10 years ago. Currently have a "salvaged" Lexmark color laser in use and have a salvaged HP lj1320 and a salvaged Canon 430 sitting on the shelf.

I've owned 2 new TVs in my life - and one new vehicle - - -

My wife has the $100 Smartab and 2 old Blackberry Playbooks

My truck is 25 years old in april and I bought it almost 9 years ago

-obviously used -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

What are you using for a web browser? I have laptop on XP and there are no browser's left today that I could find, except for Mypal, which is a Firefox derivative. Antivirus not many choice left either. That's a big problem, dwindling software choices. And I'm not doing anything that requires being able to play videos, having up to date Adobe Flash Player, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

FireFox 68.8.0 esr upgraded from a very old version earlier this year - seems OK so far - I do need to use Chrome for viewing on Imgur - haven't looked into why - I don't get any error messages just a blank dark Imgur page .. I have an idle P4 tower that is on Xp Pro - I've used it once this year just as a test - it still does the basics. John T.

Reply to
hubops

<Ctrl><Shift>k brings up the developers console in Firefox. You may see errors in the console or if you go to the network tab it will show the traffic.

Do you have NoScript or other blockers? Many modern pages are built on the fly with a JavaScript framework. No script, no page.

Reply to
rbowman

In both Firefox and Chrome I use the same extension: "JavaScript Toggle On and Off". It puts a switch on the browser toolbar that allows you to turn JavaScript on and off.

Since I mostly read the news, turning JavaScript off usually kills all the movement (and popups) but leaves the print and still pictures. Sometimes I do get a blank page or picture, but often I can just switch JS on for a moment, the page loads, then switch it off again and the page stays, again without the annoying moving stuff.

Reply to
AJL

I looked at the mumbo-jumble in the developer console - don't understand much of it - but guessing java issues ? So I upgraded to FF version 84 Final and Imgur worked OK. Ta-Da ! ... and I didn't lose my bookmarks this time ! :-) Thanks guys. John T.

Reply to
hubops