OT: Car heaters and ice scraping

Do modern cars not have demisters or something? What's with all the morons wasting 10 minutes of their time scarping ice off their windscreens? Simply start your car and put the demister on 10 minutes before you leave.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why do all you pasty faces have buck teeth? That's wot I wanna know.

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

replying to James Wilkinson Sword, Iggy wrote: I wouldn't know and always wondered myself. Even just put the heat on inside the car without using the Defrosting/Demisting. Either whatever melts or you easily brush or push-off totally to totally clear. Has worked for me my entire driving life and have only ever used a scraper on the side mirrors and window seals for ice storms.

Reply to
Iggy

But how long does it take? With new cars and smaller, more efficient engines, in my experience it takes ~10 mins just to start the melting process. Mr. Sword is in the UK where winters are far milder than many places in the vast USA. If it's 0F outside and there is 1/2" of ice, you're not going to clear it in 10 mins of idling.

Reply to
trader_4

What's the difference? A car has 1 heater, which can be directed at the glass, your feet, etc.

Then start it earlier. It must be a lot more than 10 minutes from when you get out of bed till when you leave in the car. If you just scrape off the ice, the first time you even cough, you get the window misting up, it's far safer to have the glass warm.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

0 miles per gallon. I guess not all Canadians are honest. 33 vehicles were stolen in 9 days in Edmonton. I usually start my pickup, turn the defroster on full blast, then start scraping windows. It takes some warm air to keep the window from frosting up on the inside.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Depends on where you live, I guess. Never had 1/2" of ice where I lived but some places get lots of it. My last three cars I can turn the defroster on with the remote start. If that does not clear it I'm staying home.

I do have some ice today. The car was warm when the snow started so it left a coat of ice under the snow. I brushed the snow and am waiting for the sun to do the rest of it. What sucks is, this will happen frequently until April.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Do cars not have locks where you're from?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What's annoying here is there isn't enough snow to use chains, and the council don't bother gritting a lot of the roads. The other day I was actually unable to drive up a road at all.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'd read a hint recently and have only tried it a couple of times but it has worked. Mix regular isopropyl rubbing alcohol in about a 3:1 ratio with water, put it in a laundry spray bottle, and lightly spray the windows. A 15 F, the ice turns to slush and it easily squeegeed off.

They do make commercial deicers but they're quite expensive compared to homebrew.

Reply to
rbowman

Or just use the supplied car heater.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

replying to trader_4, Iggy wrote: Actually, if you turn the heat onto low or medium right when you start the vehicle, you'll find that warmer than outside air comes out after just a minute or 2. It usually takes 10 to 15 minutes to bust everything loose or melt it outright...depends on depth.

When I need to clear-off the whole vehicle for bigger snows, then it's done by the time I finish cleaning off the car to spotless and shoveling away the droppings. If I have a full shovel-out of the driveway and parked at the head (for snows over 6-inches), I don't start the car until I clear up to it and then go finish shoveling.

Reply to
Iggy

The last time I had to do any serious scrapping of ice was about 8 or

9 years ago. I had worked all night and struggled to get the door open as there was no indoor parking for we employees. I had the de- froster on full blast but it takes a while to scrape off a half inch of ice. I was continually walking around scraping as the truck got warmer and warmer but it still took a good twenty-five minutes before I was able to slowly drive off and head home.
Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

There's no point in scraping, as once the heater gets going it just melts it all.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I used to turn off the heater and open the front windows about 1/2 mile before I reached my destination to prevent ice formation from snow melting on the glass. Worked well. Now I park in my garage.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Wrong. If I'd waited for it all to melt where I could safely drive away I'd been there at least an hour. After pulling out of that ice bound parking lot I had a slow drive home. I'd already worked 12 hours and I was ready to get home and to bed.

As it began to melt and soften enough to make getting the ice scraper under the ice the clearing was a lot quicker. I drive an SUV and I had large windows that needed clearing for side and rear viewing.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

At which point the premiums for dodges skyrocketed :-)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Then use the cold as punishment. Instead of wasting huge amounts of money on a jail for 10 years, just lock them naked in a sub zero cell for a shorter time.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You must have a really shit heater.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yup, and they denied the claim anyway. Insurance companies are like that.

Reply to
rbowman