Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a car repair should take?

I was told that there is a manual auto repair shops look up to find the number of shop hours they charge for a job.
To be fair, I'm told they all charge that many hours even if it doesn't take that many hours.
For example if three jobs are done, and even if they associate with each other, they just add up the shop hours and then charge by the $200/hour that the local shops all seem to charge for their shop rate.
Where can we car owners get that manual online?
Frank S wrote:

You might try: http://www.napaautocare.com/Estimator.aspx?rp_cb=Lincoln&rp_cm=LS&rp_cy749&rp_zcr210#
On 12/10/2017 1:44 PM, Ken wrote:

Try Chilton manuals , Used to be our source waybackwhen.
Rene
In < Rene Lamontagne said:

The original question asks for a database *online* for the shop hours for any given job.
I know Mitchells has it in paper manuals but I'm seeking an *online* source.
I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

A flatrate amount most likely isn't in paper manuals, but the time it should take a qualified mechanic to do the repair is. As the repair cost varies from shop to shop and location to location. The shop owner sets the hourly rate, but, the software tells them how many hours this or that job should take to complete.

It doesn't provide a flat rate, it provides the time it should take a qualified mechanic to do the repair. The shop sets the price they charge per hour.
--
Please visit our moderators personal page:
On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 1:45:02 PM UTC-6, Ken wrote:

Thanks Ken!
I had a the motor for my drivers side electric window replaced about 6 weeks ago. I checked the price they charged against this site and it was spot on!
In < Ken said:

Thanks Ken,
That's a nice site which is probably what *most* people want. a. Cost for the job b. Cost for the part.
So I understand why that site is useful to *other* people.
But it's the exact *opposite* of what I want. I don't want the final cost (that's easy) nor the parts cost (that's easy).
What I'm looking for is the number of hours only. (The rest is just simple math.)

It's published by Chilton's. It costs money. You can probably find it at your local library if you have a good public library with a good set of Chilton's. If you ask nicely, your mechanic might let you look at it.

Not everybody does. Some do. And then there is that car with the rust problem where every job takes twice as long as the book says. --scott

In < Scott Dorsey said:

I guess that means it's not *online* then.... :(
snipped-for-privacy@cryptoHeaven.com says...

I'd be surprised if any such page exists that would/could remain valid for entire country. Too much "local" pressures etc.
What I dislike about their fixed cost repair arrangements is that if it doesn't take that long we are giving them money for nothing but if it takes longer you can be damn sure it's tacked onto the bill. And Yes I'm sure if there's three separate repairs that they charge you for three hours yet it's done in two saves you nothing but does put money in their pocket for nothing.
Next new car I buy will be partially determined by my negotiating legal requirement by them about markup on parts (100% no way), cost of repair and labor. they pay the mechanic approx. $25 Hr yet charges over $125 locally here. We are paying so management can drive a free car and owner can generate equity in his company. neither of which makes the car any better, e.g. last longer with fewer repairs required during it's lifespan, for me.
Work at a dealer, you are not welcome in my house.
On 12/10/2017 5:17 PM, pjp wrote:

Besides the mechanic's pay rate, add in employer matching taxes, fees, licenses, inspections, insurance, rent, property tax, supplies, fixtures, advertising and so on.
Also, rate books show expected typical time for the job. Your local shop multiplies that time estimate by their billing rate, that is, Chilton's doesn't express a value for dollars, just time.
You may well be overcharged sometimes, but mechanic's pay is hardly the biggest part of shop expense.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

There is "chilton time" and there is "factory time".
Dealers use "factory time" for most late model vehicles - and factory time is generally pretty scimpy compared to Chiltons (or Motors, or whatever "aftermarket" flat rates exist.)
The independents charge "chilton time"
Also, the "book time" isn't tecninally "hours" - it is "labour units" - which compare closely to the number of hours an experienced mechanic with the proper tools will take tio do the job, A mechanic who has done the job many times should ALWAYS be able to do the job in fewer actual hours - while an apprentice or mechanic unfamilliar with the job will take more time.
In < Clare Snyder said:

I'll take either time.

I'll assume "factory time" is shorter than "Chilton time".

That's exactly what I'm seeking. a. Time b. Online

I'm ok with any units that equate to the time you multiply times the shop rate.
So if it's in labor units, that's fine since that equates to average time anyway.
But does it exist online?
I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.
On 12/10/17 5:20 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Environmental fees, IE vapor control, cleaning solvent replacement, shop rags, all the other mandated regulations that must be followed.
The average person simply has no clue any more, since most never grew up tinkering on cars in the back yard.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6

All that. It's not only auto shops that cost a lot to run.
The failure rate for all businesses is high, mostly because they take in less money than they spend.
If owning a business were such a great deal, we'd all be doing it.

In < Ken Springer said:

I am only asking about time. Online.
On 12/10/2017 10:04 PM, Ken Springer wrote:

Those charges piss me off. Sure, they are real costs but so is insurance, lighting, the water bill. It should be included in the shop rate. They don't charge me different depending on whether or not the mechanic had to flush the toilet while working on my car.
Most dealers have those charges built in as a percentage of the charges, not based on actual use. Give me the rags and I'll take them to dispose of them.
In < AMuzi said:

That's *exactly* what I want.
a. Time. b. Online.
Does it exist?
On 12/11/2017 4:06 AM, Frank S wrote:

It sure does, as others have linked. But it's a compendium of data from Chilton's or whoever for which they (rightfully) charge a fee.
Nothing stops you from looking at your watch, doing the job yourself and then looking at your watch again. If you want a more convenient answer, buy a flat-rate manual.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
On 12/10/2017 6:17 PM, pjp wrote:

The Flat Rte manual gives time, not dollars so it is valid anywhere. Most mechanics can beat the times, especially the second time they do the job and yes, many shops pay that rate no matter how long it takes.

Correct in most cases. If replacing a timing belt there us usually an add on for the water pump at the same time though.

Good luck with that. A good mechanic is making more than $25. Sure the dealer is making a nice profit but you have no clue what it costs to operate a shop.

I'd not want to spend time with anyone with your attitude anyway even though I never worked for a dealer. Without the employees you'd not be able to by a car and get it serviced yet you refuse to socialize with the guy that washes the car or cleans the bathrooms.