OT: Brakes seizing on electric cars? (2024 Update)

Indeed, My Golf TDI was just as good as a GTI.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yep and as that got noticed more and more cars got diesel engines, and then manufacturers got caught fixing the emissions tests and it all got smelly again.

Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Not many more. Didn't people notice the hugely higher miles per gallon? I actually heard people saying "but diesel costs more". Yeah, a few pence more, but you go twice as far.

One manufacturer did, and nobody gives a f*ck about treehugging emissions. I look at the miles per gallon only.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yet I have never f***ed a gearbox (not including [why isn't there a word uncluding?] the one that fell off due to bad Renault workmanship).

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Wait until your diesel engine blows up. Then you'll notice where the higher costs are.

The people getting cancer from the carcinogenic diesel emissions certainly do. Those carcinogenic emissions are why diesel is biting the dust in Europe - regardless of the improved mileage per gallon.

Reply to
Xeno

It absorbs moisture through and past the seals, as well as atmospheric moisture getting in every time you remove the cap. Seals in good condition still don't prevent 100% moisture ingress. Moisture build up in brake fluid can be, and often is, fatal. That's why brake fluid test kits were invented - so you can check the actual moisture levels.

Reply to
Xeno

When the brakes don't operate so well, I'll change the fluid.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The cost of a blown up diesel and petrol engine are identical. It's the cost of getting another car.

Fuck off treehugger.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Err, no it isn't. Diesels cost quite a deal more to rebuild. Especially the modern diesels with extremely high pressure *common rail* injection systems.

Not a treehugger at all. Just much more aware than you of what exits the exhaust pipes on diesel and petrol engined vehicles.

Reply to
Xeno

That's the rub. The brakes will operate perfectly right up until they don't and, invariably, that will be right when you are putting the most pressure on your brake system. I would explain the detrimental effects of water contaminated brake fluid but you don't appear to have the intelligence level required in order to understand it.

Reply to
Xeno

Fraid so.

He is talking about replacing the car, not rebuilding the engine.

And if anything diesels are cheaper to replace now that they arent worth as much now used given the new controls on them and the fraud that VW got involved in.

That's what he means by a tree hugger, caring about that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Most don't in fact ever put enough pressure on their braking system to ever show the effect of water in the fluid.

He claims to have a high IQ and given that he has an honors degree in physics, likely that claim isnt a lie.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I was referring to *rebuild costs*.

Reply to
Xeno

That depends entirely on the *degree* of water contamination. Of course, there are the *other effects* of the presence of moisture (H2O) in the braking system - like *corrosion*.

A lot of people make claims. Like Noddy who made lots of claims including being a qualified motor mechanic *and* auto machinist. Turns out *none* of his claims had any credibility whatsoever.

Surprise, surprise!

On the internet no one knows you're a dog.

Xeno

In fact hardly anyone rebuilds normal car engines anymore.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Few ever get enough water contamination to be a problem anymore.

I didn't in 45 years with the Golf.

Don't see that often enough to matter with modern cars.

We have seen the degree certificate and its trivial to verify it now.

Irrelevant with uni degrees which are easy to check.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Servicing at regular intervals, with appropriate fluid changes, sees to that.

Thee but not me.

So, go check up on mine. And my trade certificate.

Reply to
Xeno

That's because the diesels of old used to go the distance. By the time they were worn out, the vehicle was worth nothing and certainly much less than the rebuild cost. The newer *downsized* common rail turbocharged diesels are another story.

Reply to
Xeno

I never did that with brake fluid in 45 years and it worked fine.

You are completely irrelevant.

Not possible because you cower behind an nick.

Reply to
Rod Speed

They still do and petrol engines do too.

What it is worth is irrelevant. What matters is whether it makes any sense to do that anymore.

Irrelevant to whether it is worth doing.

Nope, hardly anyone rebuilds those either.

Reply to
Rod Speed