Ariens Snowblower Seizing Up

I have an old Ariens snowblower that occasionally seems to be freezing up. The engine works well, as does the wheel drive mechanism. The auger system seems to freeze up when left unused. I have found that exposing it to heaters releases things and all works well.

Any idea of what would be freezing and how to remedy it?

Thanks,

Ian

Reply to
Ian Stock

Hi Ian, I have a "Snapper" snowthrower and I had the same problem you have. I took it inside my shop and threw the heat to it....then greased the working mechanism with a synthetic grease. As I was pumping my grease gun on one of the nipples, I saw water being pushed out by the grease. The problem was that water had gotten into the bearings and sleeved shafts etc and was freezing preventing my auger from turning right away. After greasing the moving parts, it prevented the water from comming in and freezing when it was shut down. The problem went away..... Hope my experience was of help to you....Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

The best solution is a heated garage. Failing that, leave the engine running for a few minutes when you put it away. The heat will soften the snow. Or, before you use it next time, use a hair dryer or heat gun to melt snow around the augur. It's just the nature of the beast that snowblowers blow snow, the snow melts and then freezes up again. I also give various areas of the machine a generous dose of WD40 now and then. It seems to keep snow from adhering.

ds

Reply to
Dick Smyth

Reply to