snowblower auger drive problem

Hello.

I have an older two-stage Craftsman 8 hp snowblower. The engine starts great, and the wheel drive works fine in all forward gears and reverse.

I was using it for the first time this season last night, and managed to clear a small part of my driveway before it crapped out on me. What happens is this: when I engage the auger drive, the engine comes to an immediate dead stop.

I tried cleaning the augers and thrower mechanism, and opened the shroud covering the drive belts. Everything seems fine (belts all free to move, nothing visibly blocking the auger/thrower from turning, etc.) except for a small frayed part on the auger drive belt, but I can't see that causing the engine to seize up on me. BTW, my driveway is graveled, and some gravel was thrown out while I using the snowblower. I'm not sure if this could have caused some kind of damage or not (it worked fine all of last winter, except for some shear pins going).

I'm going to open up the main drive part to see if there could be some kind of problem with the clutch discs tonight, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows what the cause might be?

Thanks, Corey

Reply to
Corey Dale

Sounds like you may have a problem with the gear box for the auger itself. Pull the plug and drain it to see if any chunks of gear come out. If that'snot it perhaps the engine it to tired to run everything at the same time. The stones aren't good for it you should adjust your shoes so the cutting edge is a little above the stones.

Reply to
Randd01

you need to remove the spark plug, remove the belt cover engage the auger then slowly pull the starter and see if the belt turns the auger asss. if you cant pull the starter rope the auger is sized up (something jammed or gear box sezed up , ect) if it does pull over you have a different problem , it may have a a igition kill switch that cuts the spark when engage (on some unit 20+ years old have this the newer units dont)

Reply to
DR, Bob

You say the belts look fine and are free to turn. How about the auger itself? Can it be turned? It sounds like you have something in the final auger drive or the auger itself that is totally jammed. I found a small rock that caused the problem in mine. It jammed the auger way in back and hard to spot.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Hi.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

When the problem began, augers could still turn somewhat but the impeller was jammed. My first thought was that it was jammed with a rock, but when I first looked for a cause I didn't find anything jamming the impeller

I took a closer look last night in better light and sure enough there was a small rock, just big enough to jam the impeller, way back in a hard to see spot. I managed to chip the rock out and now the impeller turns fine! Thanks to those who suggested it, as it made me take a closer look. I was starting to think it was gear problem.

Thanks again, Corey

Reply to
Corey Dale