NG Policies

"Bob M." wrote

Many people do prefer bottom posting, and many also prefer top posting.

I think bottom posting works best for those who join a discussion late in the discussion, after several postings, since reading in the normal manner (top to bottom) gives the chronological sequence of questions, answers, comments, etc. I think top posting works best for those actively following a thread from the beginning, since the latest response is read first, and one doesn't have to wade through all the previously provided material.

My preference (which happens rarely) is for each poster to edit the post, leaving out irrelevant material, and interweaving his comments within the post, adjacent to the individual points the previous poster(s) made.

I don't think anyone is going to change his approach, but maybe if the pros and cons of all methods are understood there will be less rudeness here and in other newsgroups.

Reply to
CWLee

My personal preference would be for top posting, the way e-mail threads end up looking like when nobody trims when they answer. Got used to that from the old green-screen days. (and pre-GUI, with a slow dialup, you could skip to the next message quicker.) But after getting beaten about the head and shoulders several times about it, I bowed the majority and forced myself to get used to bottom posting. Exception, as others have noted, for going in-line in long complex replies.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Bottom or top - both are easy enough to deal with as long as there is proper and judicious trimming.

Leave enough of the previous post to gove context to what you are saying.

Reply to
salty

I had trouble with a few different free news servers so I took someones advice and pay $10 for one that seems to always work.

Reply to
Tony

I couldn't agree more!

Reply to