New boiler installed System 2000

Some of you may be interested in the final outcome of my quest to find a good heating boiler.

I started out looking at Buderus, Crown, Peerless. They all seem good, this one seems better. I've heard the Crown can be louder than others.

Today, the System 2000 was installed. Only been running for a few hours so it will take months to see how much the savings are but I'm very pleased with the way it is set up and the way it works. Everything looks high quality and the installer did a very nice job of piping . It has about 15 valves so anything in the system can be isolated for service. Water heating is indirect fired 40 gallon tank that seems about bottomless. Ran the dishwasher and it was always at temperature and a short shower did not even start the burner.

The single most noticeable attribute is the sound. Or lack of it. It is the quietest oil boiler I've ever seen.

Time will tell, but it seems like a very well built machine.

Some states offer rebates and low or no interest financing. Depending on oil prices, I can pay for this completely from oil savings at $3 a gallon.

Did I mention how quiet it is?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:zLX3l.7259$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com:

Cooler night slated by any chance? Make a good intro.

Reply to
Red Green

High today was 25. Tonight will be about 5 so I'll know early in the morning if the house is warmed up. Thermostats are set for about 15 minutes before the alarm clock.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Do you have large cast iron radiators on exterior walls? I do, I wonder how much energy I waste heating a cold under insulated wall that the heat just goes outside. A good portion of that heat is radiant right, what do you think about using Foil Faced R 7.2" foamboard glued to the exterior wall behind the radiator. I think for me it would have a significant payback and maybe 1-5% reduction in heat loss, the foil itself would reflect the radiant portion of the heat given off. The board is dual foil faced, it will keep out cold radiant from incomming. I am going to do it.

What temp does the 2000 heat water to, does it vary with outside temp with an outside thermometer. I have seen add on controls to modulate temp heated to, since it is cheaper to keep temp lower and not always run to 180. But it depends on how big your radiators are.

How does it heat domestic HW, why is the 2000 better than a seperate tank.

To accuratly compare what is saved in fuel don`t you have to chart out past degree days, ive heard there is an easy to use accurate formula.

Is it dual fuel or an easy conversion.

Reply to
ransley

My buddy has a liquid fuels business and I went to a trade show in A/C this summer with him. Various manufacturers had boilers and furnaces on display. The one you picked certainly looks like a solid design. I like the idea of being able to open the door and having access to everything. They also had a working unit in a trailer out in the parking lot and it definitely is quiet.

Indirect domestic water heaters really work well no matter what they are attached to. We have a boilermate brand that is attached to our gas hot water boiler.

Reply to
George

What temp does the 2000 heat water to, does it vary with outside temp with an outside thermometer. I have seen add on controls to modulate temp heated to, since it is cheaper to keep temp lower and not always run to 180. But it depends on how big your radiators are.

How does it heat domestic HW, why is the 2000 better than a seperate tank.

To accuratly compare what is saved in fuel don`t you have to chart out past degree days, ive heard there is an easy to use accurate formula.

Is it dual fuel or an easy conversion.

I have finned copper baseboard and a fairly well insulated house built in

1978 I've added attic insulation.

The water goes to about 180. It will not circulate water until the boiler water is 120. No outside thermometer. Once the thermostat is satisfied, the burner will shut down but the circulator will run until the water is back down to 120 so no heat is left in a place you don't want or need it. Heat up time is only 90 seconds.

Indirect fired is a better methods, System 2000 or others. The tank has 2" of rigid foam insulation for a temperature drop of only 1/4 of a degree per hour. Unlike gas or oil fired, there is no stack for hot air to leak from. Compared to the old style tankless coil, it keeps unused water hot for a 6 degree drop in 24 hours instead of the big drop that caused the oil burner to fire up many times during the day, even in summer. That alone will save quite a few gallons of oil.

Some systems use a stainless steel coil inside the tank. Mine uses a small circulator and a heat exchanger. Small, but it heated the 40 gallons of 55 degree water to 125 in minutes. First hour draw is over 200 gallons, much more than any other type of heater. Again, once the aquastat is satisfied, it continues to move the heat from the boiler to the tank rather than waste it into atmosphere. No so bad in winter, but a pure waste in summer. My utility area is already a few degrees cooler so I know I'm saving energy. It will take some time to see just how much.

I do have degree day history for the past two years to do a fairly accurate comparison. Oil delivery is not always the same time so it will not be perfect. Every one I've talked to says a minimum of 25% save, possible up to 40%. I'd be happy in the 25 to 30% range.

I do not know how easily converted it is from oil to gas. I'll never be able to get gas here so I never checked. I hesitated getting rid of a working boiler, but once I started doing research, I saw the benefits of new designs. I also wanted to choose the equipment and time to change with some research rather than have the old one break and not be repairable on a 0 degree day and have to take what was on the floor.

You have to see the installation to appreciate it. Just a glance and the perfect solder joints you know the guy is a pro. Everything about it was done just right.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski