New Hot Water Boiler

I am considering replacing my hot water boiler this year. Presently have a Burnham which has served me well for 35 years. I did the installation 35 years ago and now I am going to get prices from local contractors for a replacement.. I also understand there is a $1500 tax credit this year for just that. Your comments on brands including energy efficient models would be appreciated.

Reply to
jimmy

Weil-Mclain is another good make.

Reply to
Mikepier

Don't count on getting a tax credit. My federal tax for 2009 is $0 so that disqualified me for an "energy credit" on an $980 exterior door And then, I had to waste an hour and a half reading the instructions, simply not worth it.

Reply to
Phisherman

My choice last year was the System 2000 by Energy Kinetics.

Based on the two previous years of oil use and the degree days, my savings for the past year came to 39.4%.

I had a 30 year old Texaco with a Beckett burner and tankless coil for hot water. This has a 40 gallon indirect fired hot water tank that saves a bundle of money by comparison.

Yes, you get a $1500 tax credit and you may also be able to get 0% interest financing and state rebate. CT gave me $500 and 10 years to pay for the boiler. The savings in oil alone pay the monthly payment so I guess you can say I got a free boiler. With 14 months of use, I'd buy it again, no hesitation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

is a site you post at The Wall, its all boilers pros, you will probably even find an extra bidder. Burnham, Weil McLain are well known, the System 2000 has a inovative design. If you are considering high efficency condensing, which you might need for the credit for most manufacurers, understand condensings efficency starts dropping above about 140f. I can heat cast iron radiators I have at 140f only when its about 30 or more outside, at -10 I need

160-170 so how your home is insulated and sized in radiator sizeing will determine if you should use condensing. See now if you can set the aqua stat to 140 and monitor the operation. With new electronics a extended warranty is worth considering. Pull a permit, it gets you free inspections so you are sure its to code, and dont give a final payment till its passed, I have many times had good contractors screw up, look at the permit as insurance and job review, not a tax. There is so much being offered you will be confused if you look into condensing, design, type of build relating to longevity. 35 years, for a good boiler it may have 15 years more, what you have now is probably around 75-80% efficent, new units mainly hold only 10-15% the water of old units, so they heat faster, and the metal may be thinner and some are aluminum, so life is lower.
Reply to
ransley

ENERGY STAR qualified boilers have an annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) rating of 85% or greater

Try Utica boilers.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

And that Energy Star gets you the $1500.

There are a bunch of good boilers on the market. Peerless, Buderus, Crown, Weil McLain to name a few more. Most ever one uses a burner by two or three different manufacturers also. I can't say anything bad about those brands, I just thought the design of the System 2000 was a bit better and more efficient.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski